Dobson and Harris fire Slough to win at Corby

Corby Town

Corby Town

Weir-Daley (44)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Dobson (38), Harris (79)
League Attendance: 314 Scott Harris
Goals in either half from James Dobson and Scott Harris fired the Rebels to a third straight league victory at Corby Town.

After their 2-1 win at Truro on Saturday, Slough followed up with a fine, hard-fought victory which moved them into ninth place and denied Corby the chance to move third.

After a scrappy start, Slough looked to have settled better, and a clever piece of play from Johnnie Dyer almost led to the opening goal, feeding his strike partner Scott Harris, who controlled well and released a snap-shot in the same movement, sending the ball just wide.

Reece Yorke saw a free header easily saved by Paul Walker as Slough cranked up the pressure, and another free header, this time from Dyer, flew well over.

Corby striker Spencer Weir-Daley had the first sight of goal for the Steelmen when he flicked the ball over a defender before scuffing his shot, which was cleared easily in the goal mouth.

The game flowed from end to end, and only a superb tackle prevented Adrian Sear getting a clean shot at goal after a fine move from the Rebels.

Corby were reduced to a long range effort from Cleveland Taylor, which was well over, whilst James Dobson fired an effort wide from 25 yards.

On 38 minutes though, Dobson gave Slough the lead with a superb free kick from 25 yards, the winger sending the ball into the top corner after Liam McInally had broken up a dangerous Slough attack. The winger’s sixth goal of the season was a spectacular one, and his second in two games.

Corby looked for a quick response as Somerville held on to a header from Wilson Carvalho, but a minute before half time, the hosts were level as Weir-Daley finished at the back post after Paul Malone had flicked on a Greg Mills corner.

In the second period, neither side was really able to stamp their authority on the game; Kalern Thomas strode forward from left full-back and sent a dipping shot wide, and later on a horrendous mistake from Walker went unpunished after the goalkeeper sliced his clearance back towards his own goal. Harris hooked the ball toward goal, but it was cleared by a defender before Dyer could poke the ball into an empty net.

After this scare, Corby created two good chances to take the lead. First, Weir-Daley’s chip found Wilson Carvalho unmarked and onside, but he sent his first-time effort harmlessly wide of goal.

Soon after, the host broke quickly after Slough lost possession from a corner, with substitute Elliot Chamberlain sprinting clear and finding Mills, whose low cross eventually fell for Carvalho, who, under pressure from Jake Parsons, saw his shot was cleared off the line by Ryan Parsons. Jake paid a heavy price for the challenge, being replaced soon after by Luke Knight after sustaining an injury.

Slough went on to make the Steelmen pay, and went close when Yorke crashed a shot off the top of the crossbar after Dobson’s free-kick was only half-cleared. Scott Harris also put a shot just wide from the edge of the box as the Rebels gained in confidence.

Corby barely had a chance to regain their composure when Slough grabbed what proved to be the winner with eleven minutes remaining. This time, Harris made no mistake, confidently finishing low past Walker after Knight slipped a pass through Jamie Anton’s legs.

Corby brought on striker Appleton and pushed big centre-back Malone into attack, leading in a spell of sustained pressure on the Slough goal which was reduced by the introduction of Tom Moran for Scott Harris by the Slough joint-managers.

But Slough held on, with the hosts failing to create another clear chance.

Corby Town Lineup

Walker; Kennedy, Malone, Anton, Thomas; Taylor, McInally (Chamberlain, 60 mins); Mills (Appleton, 84 mins), Byrne, Carvalho (Crawford, 81 mins); Weir-Daley. Subs not used: Clarke, Hartley.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024