Rebels Edge Out Stones In Entertaining Encounter

Slough Town

Slough Town

Hodges (42), Harris (48), Mason (79)


Beckford (34), Cort (71)
League Attendance: 426 Ian Hodges
Slough hosted Wealdstone on Saturday at Stag Meadow and the two sides served up another entertaining encounter following the 2-2 draw at Northwood's Chestnut Avenue ground, where Wealdstone are sharing, earlier in the season.

Slough were still light on numbers but both sides were attempting to play good football on a bumpy Stag Meadow surface.

Jermaine Beckford, who had scored an absolute screamer to put the Stones 2-0 up in the earlier game, had the first real opportunity as he attempted to head over Clark Masters after Leon Woodruffe could only clear the ball up rather than out, but the keeper was just tall enough to claim the ball. Steve Daly was on hand covering the line should it have beaten the keeper, but the captain wasn't required.

The Stones dangerman made no mistake with thirty four minutes played though. Being played in by Josh Cooper as the midfielder had been allowed to run unopposed through the middle of the park, the striker sidefooted home under Masters to put the Stones in front.

Beckford again tested Masters from a similar position, but this time could only fire strongly at the keeper who held well.

Slough responded through Ian Hodges just before half time. A potent Slough weapon this season has been Andy Ballard's long throws into the area and it proved fruitful again as Hodges met the throw at the near post and flicked the ball on and it dropped into the far corner of the goal.

Wealdstone started the second half brightly with Gary Burrell cutting inside Aaron Steele before unleashing a fierce drive across the goal but Masters again got a strong hand to it and pushed it away.

Slough responded instantly. Hodges won the ball back with a strong tackle and the ball ran through to Glen Harris who continued his run forwards, side stepped towards the centre of the park and then hit a bobbler into the far corner of the net.

It could have been three one as Hodges hit the bar with a header as he ran onto a Michael Alexis through ball. As Glenn Jackson came out, Hodges headed the ball over him, but it hit the top of the bar and the keeper recovered the ball.

Luke Evans went close with a header of his own at the other end as Cooper delivered a corner from the right but Masters held the ball. The Stones thought they'd drawn level when Cooper finished high into the net after a shot had been blocked but started from an offside position and the goal was ruled out.

They did get themselves level with just under twenty minutes to play. Wayne Cort had a great run from the left channel, cutting inside Leon Woodruffe before placing his curling shot into the far corner and past Masters.

Beckford again went close, bringing another good save from Masters, as the visitors threatened to get back in front but the Rebels were next on the scoresheet. Josias Carbon played hte ball into the path of Hodges and the striker waited for the run of sub Leigh Mason to his left. Laying the ball off into the path of the midfielder, he was left with a simple finish past Jackson and secured the win for Slough.

Slough's avoidance of defeat has now extended their unbeaten run to nine games with their last defeat coming six weeks ago in the defeat by Hampton at the start of the year.

Wealdstone Lineup

Glen Jackson, Carl Ashton, Jamie Palmer, Phil Turner, Luke Evans, Chris Zoricich, Sam Sloma, Josh Cooper, Jermaine Beckford, Wayne Cort, Gary Burrell. Subs: Richard Burton (for Turner), Lee Chappell, Luke Smith, Graeme Montgomery (for Burrell), Miguel DeSouza (for Ashton).


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024