Match day

Team logo
Wargrave Women FC (A)
Sun Nov 27

Match day

Team logo
Wargrave Women FC (A)
Sun Nov 27 14:00
Thames Valley Counties Women's Football League

Rebels reward fans with a farewell win

| League
Att: 760
Slough Town
Hercules (15)
1 - 0
Halifax Town
Cliff Hercules
Slough Town signed off with a win in front of their home fans in their last Conference game of the season at Wexham Park. But there was a nervy ending to the game as Halifax outfought the Rebels in the second half, only to deny themselves a share of the points through some poor finishing.

A goal from Cliff Hercules after 15 minutes was to prove the winner, and broke a six month run since the last home Conference victory. With Gary Blackford not fully recovered from a groin injury, Lloyd Owusu was on from the start, and his pace was an important factor as Slough harried and pressured the visitors in the first half, although Owusu's touch occasionally let him down.

Slough certainly looked the brighter team in the opening exchanges. Inside the first five minutes a Paul Hardyman throw found Gary Abbott unmarked at the near post, but his shot on the turn was blocked by keeper Andy Woods. Minutes later a free kick from Ted McMinn, given after Gary Worthington handled a Garry Smart cross, was curled over the bar, and a Mark Fiore shot flashed across the face of the goal.

The breakthrough came when Slough won a free kick outside the box for a challenge on Mark Fiore on 14 minutes. McMinn floated the ball to the far post where Hercules rose to power his header in. From there Slough dominated the half, keeping up constant pressure and constantly denying the visitors space and time, with Gary Brazil outstanding as he worked both flanks.

One move on the half hour mark saw the Slough players push Halifax all the way back into their own half and forced a rushed clearance from Woods into the teeth of the wind that almost brought a reward for Abbott.

The opening minutes of the second half almost saw Slough increase their lead. In the 48th Brazil was blatantly pulled back in the box but the referee, standing barely two yards away, gave nothing. And minutes later a curling left foot effort from Brazil shaved the outside of the post. Abbott, closing in on the goal, was just unable to get the vital touch.

But the Rebels then began to lose their way a little, and having held the advantage for the first hour then saw it taken from them by the battling Shaymen. The visitors were winning everything in the air and every ball in midfield, but fortunately for the Rebels they lacked the incision up front to make their possession count.

Goalkeeper Ben Miles made a great save to tip over Halifax skipper Keith Hulme's dangerous cross-cum-shot, although later efforts from Hulme, Worthington and substitute Paul Mudd were to trouble the keeper less.

The Rebels did carve two fine opportunities to make the points safe. In the 74th minute a beautiful cross field ball by Brazil found substitute Blackford wide on the right, but his dipping shot was fractionally high. With nine minutes to go Brazil was again the provider as Abbott was put through, but Woods saved well with his feet.

In the end a single goal was enough and it gave Slough three points to end the home campaign with some pride. And the points put the Rebels in a comfortable position so they can leave any nerves behind when they hit the road for their final three matches.

Halifax Town Line up

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2022