Rebels complete dramatic comeback with stoppage-time strikes

Slough Town

Slough Town

Bird (22), Lench (71), W Harris (90+1), Worsfold (90+6)
Welling United

Welling United

Ilic (3), Akenyimi (25, 38), A Cook (51)
League Max Worsfold
Dramatic stoppage-time goals from Warren Harris and Max Worsfold helped Slough complete a phenomenal comeback, as the Rebels recovered from a three-goal deficit to draw 4-4 against 10-man Welling United.

A first-half brace from Dipo Akinyemi helped put Welling in control before Anthony Cook’s stunning free-kick threatened to end the game at 4-1. But a remarkable fight back, with second half goals from Matthew Lench, Harris and Worsfold saw Welling leave frustrated at the full-time whistle.

Welling started the game well and took only three minutes to open the scoring. Full-back Chiori Johnson broke down the right before swinging his cross into the centre of the box. Slough failed to clear their lines before Stafan Ilic found the bottom corner with a fine strike.

The Rebels responded by dominating possession after the restart and almost bagged an equaliser 17 minutes into proceedings. Paul Hodges struck a fierce strike from 25 yards which had Cook scrambling, but the midfielder’s effort flew just past the far post.

Slough did level the scores midway into the half after Hodges’ near-post corner picked out a driving run from Ryan Bird, who made no mistake in flicking his header past goalkeeper Reise Charles-Cook.

But the visitors fought back and regained the lead just moments later when striker Akinyemi latched onto a loose ball in the penalty area before firing past Jack Turner in the Slough goal.

And the forward helped his side take control of the match in the 39th minute by finding Welling’s third of the game. The away side took an early corner which found Ilic; the midfielder then struck from outside of the box which Akinyemi poked home at the back-post to give Welling a two-goal cushion heading into the break.

The Wings started the second half in similar fashion to the first by finding the net early on. Anthony Cook’s fantastically curled free-kick left Turner with no chance of stopping United from going 4-1 ahead.

Substitute Lench reduced the deficit with 20 minutes to play after substitute Worsfold’s pinpoint delivery found the midfielder unmarked in the box. The attacker took his chance with a powerful volley into the bottom hopes corner to give the hosts hope.

Jon Underwood and Neil Baker’s men received a boost after Daniel Boateng picked up two yellow cards in quick succession to bring United down to ten men approaching the final moments of the game.

The Rebels applied high-intensity pressure for the remaining minutes of regular time which left the Welling back four shaken. And the hosts’ hard work looked set to bear fruits after Harris pulled a goal back from close range in the 91st minute to make it 3-4.

But it came down to the dramatic final seconds of additional time for Slough to find their equaliser. Harris produced a bursting run down the middle before being brought down by Charles-Cook just outside the penalty area. The referee allowed play to continue and the stray ball landed at the feet of Worsfold to find an open net, sending the home bench into a frenzy of celebration.

Report: Daniel Lewis

Welling United Lineup

Reise Charles-Cook, Chiori Johnson (Rian McLean 49), Daniel Boateng, Richie Danquah, Lionel Ainsworth (Marcel Barrington 64), Nathan Green, Reuben Duncan, Stefan Ilic, Kaleem Simon (Brad Ryan 55), Dipo Akinyemi, Anthony Cook. Unused substitutes: Rowan Liburd, Kareem Isiaka.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024