Match day

Team logo
Banbury United Development Women (H)
Sun Apr 2

Match day

Team logo
Banbury United Development Women (H)
Sun Apr 2 14:00
Thames Valley Counties Women's Football League

Rebels seal playoff spot on final day

| League
Att: 393
Slough Town
Dyer (pen 79)
1 - 0
Chertsey Town
Sean Fraser
Slough Town can prepare for a play-off semi-final at Rugby Town’s Butlin Road ground on Tuesday evening after a late Johnnie Dyer penalty sealed a 1-0 win over Chertsey Town, and fifth place in the league table.

Dave Woozley made his return to the starting eleven after missing the Easter defeats against Rugby and Aylesbury, and his experience was vital in helping the Rebels to victory in a nervy encounter against already-relegated Chertsey.

However, it was the visitors who threatened in the opening minutes, and Somerville spread himself to good effect to keep out an effort from Ricky Hogsden, who was left free at the back post. Three successive corner kicks followed, but a Chertsey header flashed all the way across goal and well wide.

Later on, miscommunication from Somerville and Woozley almost resulted in striker Alan Musoke nipping in to score, but the ball rolled just wide of the post.

Slough settled in to the game, and Matt Morris almost headed a George Short cross into his own net, but keeper Garry Aulsberry tipped the ball over, before denying Dan Sintim from the resulting corner.

The Rebels’ best play came down the right with Sean Fraser, Warren Harris and George Short linking up, and Harris fired wide from 25 yards before hitting the outside of the near post after being played in by Eddie Smith.

As a very closely contested first half drew to a close, Somerville again needed to be alert to rush out of his goal and block from Musoke, whilst Aulsberry almost handed Slough a goal when he dropped the ball in trying to claim a flighted free kick, but he recovered well to block Harris’ shot.

Slough came out firing in the second half, with both Harris and James Dobson firing of target from distance, before Woozley headed a Dobson free kick delivery just wide.

Substitute Jake Parsons was denied by Aulsberry as he worked space for a shot just a minute after replacing Dobson, and the Chertsey keeper performed heroics again soon after when he stretched to tip over a deflected Smith shot from the edge of the box.

But Slough’s pressure paid off with the award of a penalty twelve minutes from time. Sean Fraser, impressive on the day having recovered well from an ankle injury sustained at Aylesbury, burst into the box and was clipped by Danny Alderton. Dyer sent Aulsberry the wrong way from the spot to finally put his side into the lead and relieve the tension around Holloways Park – though by this point, Barton Rovers were trailing Northwood 0-3, meaning a draw or defeat would have been enough for the Rebels to extend their season.

Only a superb tackle from Steve Brown prevented Smith having a clear shot at goal after great work from Harris, and further chances went begging with both Woozley and Steve Duff off target in the closing stages.

Chertsey Town Line up

Garry Aulsberry, Steve Brown, Ed Thomas, Matt Morris, Danny Alderton (c), Billy Wilson, Sam Buffour, Dave Johnston, Alan Musoke, Ryan Blake, Ricky Hogsden. Subs: Khalil Ahmad, Chris Payne.

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2023