Second half comeback stuns Slough



Lucien (47), Farrell (58), Capewell (80)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Burnell (20), David Deeney (40)
League Attendance: 265 Danny Murphy
Uxbridge turned around a two goal half time deficit to claim all three points at Honeycroft.

Dan Burnell and David Deeney had given Slough a 2-0 lead at the interval, but a goal two minutes into the second half from Lucien led the way for a fightback from Uxbridge, who overwhelmed Slough in the second half, equalising through Farrell and grabbing the winner through Capewell with ten minutes remaining.

Uxbridge, hot on the heels of a 5-0 FA Cup win over Wembley in midweek, were without four first team regulars, including FA Cup goalscorers Matty Woods and Nicke Kabamba, as well as suspended captain Wayne Carter and the injured Max Howell, and almost conceded early on as Nathan Bowden-Haase connected with a cross, but his header was easily saved.

Uxbridge’s first clear chance of the game when James Warrington’s poor clearance fell to Stuart Farrell, whose cross towards Chris Moore was cleared by some last ditch defending by Bowden-Haase and Warrington.

But soon after, Dan Burnell gave Slough a 20th-minute lead. Good build up play from the middle saw play spread across to the right, and Ashley Deeney played the ball into the feet of Burnell, who spun sharply and fired a low shot into the far corner.

Five minutes before the interval, Slough doubled their lead when David Deeney’s long range effort found its way past John Peacock in the Uxbridge goal, who let the ball slip through his hands.

Having controlled the majority of the first half, Slough were looking comfortable and were well worth their lead, but two minutes into the second period, Shaun Lucien pulled one back for the Reds, capitalising on some hesitancy at the back for Slough before rounding Warrington to score.

Slough then suffered a blow as Ben Abbey was forced off injured after suffering a heavy challenge, giving Edward Smith a first Rebels appearance in his place.

Uxbridge now had the momentum, and after Warrington was called into action again, Lucien turned provider to set up an equaliser for Stuart Farrell in the 58th minute, the striker sliding in to connect with Lucien’s square pass across goal.

The hosts then dominated the rest of the match and there was only likely to be one winner. Uxbridge smashed a shot against the crossbar and forced Warrington into another superb save, but the pressure eventually paid off in the 80th minute.

A free flowing five man move ended with Andrew Capewell’s fierce shot finding the top corner to complete a comeback which had looked so unlikely in the first half, as Slough’s shaky start to the season continued.

Uxbridge Lineup

Peacock, Lema (Kanek), Warner, Fitzgerald, Dennison, Capewell, Julienne, Smith, Lucien, Moore, Farrell. Subs not used: Lynott, Townsend & Elston-Bull.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024