Next match

Team logo
Hampton & Richmond Boro' (A)
Sat Feb 11

Next match

Team logo
Hampton & Richmond Boro' (A)
Sat Feb 11 15:00
The Vanarama National League South

Points Shared With Woods

| League
Att: 305
Hale (40)
1 - 1
Slough Town
Gallagher (25)
Steve Mautone
In normal circumstances an away point against high-flying Northwood would have been seen as an excellent result for the Rebels, but despite taking the lead through Kieran Gallagher the home side soon equalised through top-scorer Steve Hale and the points were shared.

The Rebels dominated early on with the first chance falling to Slough's in-form striker Neville Roach when he found himself clean through on goal. Roach composed himself before an awful bobble saw the ball bounce up awardly and as a result Roach scuffed his chance wide. Roach should have done better as a simple pass to Simon Ullathorne would have left Slough's top scorer an open goal.

The away side however were not left to rue that miss as they deservedly went in front after twenty-five minutes when Kieran Gallagher was put through on goal by Veli Hakki. Just as it seemed Slough's new signing would roll the ball back for Ullathorne he calmly placed the ball under the advancing Andy Felton to put the Rebels a goal ahead.

The home side then began to pressurise the Rebels midfield and defence and it was not too long until goalkeeper Steve Mautone was called into action when Danny Butler's header from a Laurence Yaku cross was tipped over by the Australian keeper. The Wood had a glorious chance to grab an equaliser on thirty-three minutes when another cross into the area by Yaku was missed by both Steve Stott and Mautone. The ball fell nicely to Andy Cook who stretching somehow diverted the ball over the bar when it seemed easier to score.

The home sides were not to be denied the first-half goal their late first half pressure deserved. Paul Barrowcliff lost the ball in midfield and Yaku ran at the Slough defence, his looping cross was headed down past Mautone into the net by the unmarked Hale for his 20th goal of the season. Minutes after the goal Steve Browne's men suffered another setback when Captain Keith McPherson was forced to be replaced by Junior Haynes having struggled for most of the half after suffering an early injury.

The second half continued in much the same fashion as the first half with these two evenly matched sides looking to grab three vital points in order to improve their league positions. The Rebels nearly went ahead ten minutes into the half when a Gallagher corner caused panic in the Wood defence. The ball fell onto the head of Anthony Howard saw his looping header hit the bar and rebound to safety.

Steve Browne's men were causing Northwood problems early in this half and they had another opportunity shortly after Howard's chance. This opportunity fell to Ullathorne who shot over from just outside the area, when a ball through to Hakki would have put the midfielder clean through on goal. Northwood gradually began to hassle the Slough defence with Hale and Yaku's movement causing the Rebels back line all sorts of problems.

It was Hale who had a great chance to put the home side in front with fifteen minutes remaining but his shot was well parried by Steve Mautone who forced the ball out for a corner. With both sides desperate to gain maximum points the match became an end to end affair, but the only real chance in the remaining minutes fell to Wood substitute Gavin Hart who saw his shot blocked at the far post by Mautone.

Slough desperately needed the points in order to push themselves up the league, as did Northwood, but neither side deserved to win or lose this entertaining tie.

Northwood Line up

Felton, Nolan, Sargent, Butler, Watkins, Williams, Carter, Gell, Hale, Yaku, Ashe. Sub Used: Hart

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2023