Next match

Team logo
Cheshunt (A)
Sat Jan 28

Next match

Team logo
Cheshunt (A)
Sat Jan 28 15:00
The Vanarama National League South

Three-sy does it as Rebels win at Rebels

| League
Att: 360
0 - 3
Slough Town
Roach (11), Wilkinson (50), Ullathorne (63, pen)
Darron Wilkinson
After disappointing results and performances against both Oxford City and Yeading the Rebels bounced back in fine style with an excellent away victory against Worthing.

The Rebels started brightly and went close to opening the scoring early on. Veli Hakki's pass found Simon Ullathorne on the edge of the area; he turned his marker and fired in a shot, which was well saved by Worthing goalkeeper James Wastell. On ten minutes the home side had their first real attack of the game. Worthing's Wesley Lopez ran at Anthony Howard and saw his mishit cross bounce of the top of the crossbar with Mautone beaten.

Just a minute later the Rebels took the lead. Andy Alexander miss-controlled the ball in defence which allowed Neville Roach through on goal and the former Reading striker coolly slotted the ball past Wastell to give the away side the lead. The Rebels dominated the half after their opening goal, but failed to create any real clear-cut chances in the rest of the half. Both Hakki and Darron Wilkinson had shots from the edge of the area, but neither tested goalkeeper Wastell.

The only real danger for Slough in the first half came from a Worthing corner that was swung into the area by Darren Baxter. Slough goalkeeper Steve Mautone flapped at the corner a scramble in the area followed, which was somehow cleared by the Slough defence.

Five minutes into the second half Slough doubled their lead. Michael Gilkes beat Danny Smith and crossed into the area. The ball fell to Ullathorne who found Hakki on the edge of the area. Hakki's sublime chip cannoned off the bar and with goalkeeper Wastell grounded Wilkinson had the easiest of chances to open his account for the Rebels.

Soon after the home side finally exerted some pressure on the Slough goal with a number of dangerous corner kicks. On fifty-seven minutes Worthing's Paul Kennett hit a drive from the edge of the area following a corner, which was well beaten away by Mautone. On sixty-three minutes Steve Browne's men finally killed the game off when they were awarded a penalty following Mark Knee's clumsy challenge on Neville Roach in the area. Striker Simon Ullathorne confidently despatched the penalty into the corner of the net despite Wastell getting two hands to the ball.

Following the goal the Rebels sat back as Worthing had nothing to loose and threw everything at the Slough defence. They should have pulled a goal back with fifteen minutes remaining when a long pass from Mark Burt found Worthing's top scorer Gavin Geddes free in the area, but the sixteen goal striker headed wide when he should have scored.

Ten minutes later it looked as though the home side would pull a goal back when Kennett again produced an excellent drive from the edge of the area, but his viciously swerving shot was brilliantly turned over the bar by Steve Mautone. Worthing battled well in the second half and deserved a consolation goal, but in the closing stages they could have gone four goals down but for an excellent tackle by Andrew Beech to deny Slough substitute Andrew Deaner.

Worthing Line up

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2023