Rebels shoot down Magpies

Slough Town

Slough Town

Markman (89)
Maidenhead United

Maidenhead United

League Attendance: 726 Steve Stott
Slough avenged their Boxing Day defeat against local rivals Maidenhead with a convincing display and vital win.

It was a match in which Richard Barnard produced some great svae to deny the Rebels. Maidenhead started as the better side with Obina Ulasi causing problems for Townley down Maidenhead's left wing. He managed to cut inside the big defender before hitting an early shot which was comfortably wide.

Tim Cook then brought down Paul Coombs on the edge of the Magpies box giving Rainford a chance from the free kick, but his effort was comfortably saved by Barnard in the Maidenhead goal.

Ulasi managed to break free down the left wing soon after but his cross, although met by Allen, was marshalled well by Daly, and was a comfortable save by Mautone. The Rebels broke quickly and earned themselves a corner. Rainford put the cross into the back post where McPherson headed the ball back across. With the defence shifting back over, Coombs was first to the ball but saw his effort saved well by Barnard with an outstretched hand.

Soon after, Coombs was brought down in the area by Cook, but the referee was having none of it and waved play on much to the Rebels striker's disgust. Grieves was the next recipient of a chance for Maidenhead as he managed to squeeze a shot in through a crowd of players but it was too close, and lacked power to seriously trouble Mautone.

Coombs then managed to turn from a tight angle and fire in a shot which Barnard saved comfortably, holding the ball well. As the game threatened to boil over, Stott was booked for a challenge on ex-Rebel Barry Rake, in which he took the ball but brought his trailing leg through the back of the midfielder.

Maidenhead then saw a Cook header go narrowly wide before Ulasi was released by Rake but his effort was disappointing sending the ball well over from the corner of the box. Ulasi's pace then nearly saw him through three Rebels defenders, but a saving tackle from Kemp steered the ball back to Mautone who was able to clear.

New signing Derek Asamoah, who proved a handful to the Magpies defence for the entire half, received a low free kick from Rainford after 42 minutes. He managed to control the ball and turn hitting a low shot which Barnard saved, and held, well.

The first chance of the second half came to a Rebels side in a half where they firmly established themselves with the upper hand in the game. Mautone caught a Cook cross and then released a long kick which found its way through to Barnard who was put under immediate pressure from Coombs. The keeper sliced his kick with the ball falling to Asamoah but the young striker's shot lacked any conviction and Durrant was on hand to clear the danger.

Five minutes later, Rainford received a throw just inside the Maidenhead box on the inside right channel. He managed to turn with ball and fire in a shot which again, Barnard was more than equal to.

Maidenhead's best chance of the half fell to Croxford, after a Cook long throw was only half cleared, the big centre back attempted an acrobatic volley, which worried Mautone, but went over.

Junior Haynes, back in his conventional left midfield role, put in a hanging back post cross which was headed back by Rainford into the path of Coombs who turned and shot but straight at Barnard.

With twenty minutes gone in the second half, Leon Townley was put in by a Rainford through ball down the right wing. His first time cross was met by the head of Asamoah who put the ball narrowly wide with Barnard beaten.

Two minutes later, a Rainford cross from the right was collected by Asamoah, who held off challenges from a group of three defenders and managed to put in a shot across Barnard, which the keeper parried with a good save. The ball fell to Coombs who saw his effort blocked and the ball fell into the hands of the grateful keeper.

The Rebels continued to pressure with Stott and Barrowcliff orchestrating everything from midfield. Coombs gained some space on the left wing and put in a dangerous cross which was well marshalled by Cook.

The game then saw its ugliest moment, when Coombs went in late on Hickey. Hickey got up and retaliated with arms being raised and throats held, but players from both sides soon got involved and broke things up. Both Coombs and Hickey were booked for their respective involvement in the incident.

Slough continued to pressure and Haynes put in a cross which Cook narrowly missed his own goal with as the ball sailed narrowly wide. From the corner the ball fell to Rainford on the edge but his volley on the turn was comfortably wide.

Asamoah was then released after receiving a Paul Coombs flick on, but found his match with the impressive Barnard, somehow getting a hand to the ball which had gone between his legs and clutching onto the ball at the second attempt.

Then came the moment the Rebels had earned themselves. A Graham Kemp ball into the box saw Barnard, under pressure from Asamoah, fumble the ball into the path of Markman, who had time to let the ball bounce before slamming the ball home into the net past Durrant sending the Rebels fans behind the goal wild.

With the goal now in the bag, the Rebels played keep ball in the corner with Stott, Barrowcliff and Markman all taking turns at simply shielding the ball next to the corner flag, as the Rebels gained three vital points in their relegation battle.

Maidenhead United Lineup

Barnard, Woodhouse, Durrant, Rake, Croxford, Hickey, Cook (c), Ferdinand, Grieves, Allen, Ulasi. Subs: Craker, Arkins, Morley


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024