Trophy Progress Halted Over The Border

Newport AFC

Newport AFC

Thorne (52), Souter (66)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Black (34)
FA Trophy Attendance: 627 Danny Honey
Slough tumbled out of the FA Trophy, losing 2-1 at in-form Newport.

Slough had the better of the early exchanges but County were the first to threaten on 5 minutes when a deep ball from the right by James fell to the unmarked Rose who forced a good save from Honey with a crisp low shot just inside the area.

County continued to look dangerous when coming forward with James seeing a lot of the ball, while Shepherd and Eaton were working hard to find space. Slough were very quick to get forward whenever possible with Coombs showing good composure on the ball bringing in other players. County were unnerved by a number of swift crosses that were put in behind the defence and really should have took the lead on 17 minutes when a good pass deep into the penalty area from the right was flicked back inside by Eaton allowing Shepherd to find space to shoot but he appeared to scuff his shot.

County were getting a lot of joy from the right side and had further chance on 22 minutes when Shepherd got in behind to play a good ball across the six yard area but the ball was cleared for a corner. Eaton was showing good trickery on the ball and he created another good opportunity for County on 25 minutes only to be fouled by Kemp in the area as he cut inside, as the referee awarded the penalty. Thorne stepped up confidently for the penalty, placing it low to Honey's right, but was denied by the inside of the post and the ball rebounded out safely.

County were unshaken by this and their persistence looked certain to pay off on 31 minutes when a rebound fell to Rose and Shepherd in space but they both left it for one another and the eventual shot put in by Eaton was blocked by the elastic keeper.

Slough punished County on 34 minutes when they pressed strongly and forced the ball home in the midst of a good period of pressure. A left wing cross from Kerr, went all the way through to the back post. The ball was swiftly put back in, and found the run of Black, who put the ball firmly past Mountain, and Slough into the lead. Danny Honey in the Slough goal was again called into action to deny County again on 38 minutes when a good cross from Robison found Eaton who headed back across the goal only for the ball to be brilliantly tipped over.

County were then nearly caught out as Slough had a good move on the counterattack and with Coombs lining up a shot on the edge of the area, after breaking from the half way line, Robison made a superb saving tackle inside the area.. Just before the break Eaton made a lone break with the ball and hit a firm shot on the edge of the area which Honey managed to tip around for corner.

County started the second half intent on a early goal and were rewarded on 52 minutes when a ball was flicked on and Thorne directed a well placed header into the corner of the net beyond the despairing keeper.

Slough continued to look dangerous coming forward often catching County but the defence stood up well to any threats. On 60 minutes Shepherd had a half chance when he received a good pass from Davies but shot straight at the keeper from the edge of the area under pressure. However, Countys insistence with crosses paid off after 66 minutes when Souter headed the ball low, hitting a Slough defender on its way in, to leave Honey with no chance.

Slough then responded by making several late subsitutions and pushed County back but were unable to force Mountain into any saves. Marshall was guilty of missing one late chance for Slough after finding some space in the area, but could only put his shot over the bar.

Newport AFC Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024