Next match

Team logo
Virgina Water (H)
Fri Jul 5

Next match

Team logo
Virgina Water (H)
Fri Jul 5 19:45
The Vanarama National League South

Slough through to FA Cup First Round

Slough Town

Slough Town

Harris (4)
Folkestone Invicta

Folkestone Invicta

FA Cup Attendance: 926 George Wells
Slough Town deservedly progressed to the First Round of the FA Cup for the first time in five years with this narrow, but deserved win over Bostik Premier Folkestone Invicta at Arbour Park.

For joint managers Jon Underwood and Neil Baker it is the first time they have reached this stage of the competition, and the Rebels can now look ahead to Monday evening’s live televised First Round draw and dream of a tie against League One or League Two opposition.

The game was not as close as the score line suggests, as the Rebels had the better of the overall play and chances without being able to find a crucial second goal to kill the game off.

In the end, the winning goal was scored with virtually the first attack of the game. Warren Harris received a long pass from Nathan Smart out on the right and beat his man before sprinting clear and beating Tim Roberts on four minutes to provide the perfect start.

Slough went in search of a second and Harris had another crack at goal, but this time Roberts got down low to save. Minutes later, Manny Williams got his head to a cross from the left, but could only find the gloves of the keeper.

The Rebels went closer still on 24 minutes as Harris played a low ball across the face of goal, but James Dobson slid in and put the ball wide from close range.

Folkestone rarely threatened, though Jack Turner needed to be alert to deny Ade Yusuff after a defensive mishap.

Slough too often rushed their attacking play and failed to find the correct final ball in their search of the second goal, but remained well on top and could have gone in to the half time break further ahead but Chris Flood’s low cross evaded everyone after he got in behind the last man.

Lee Togwell and then Flood both fired shots at Roberts in the second half, with Gavin James replacing Williams, who had picked up a knock in the first half.

Turner had little to do in the Slough goal, but produced a super reaction save to turn over Sam Hasler's fierce free kick on 58 minutes.

The industrious Matt Lench, a creative spark for the home side all afternoon, headed just wide from a corner, whilst Dobson was well tackled after a poor defensive header almost put him clean through.

Folkestone were always in the game with just a single goal in it, but the visitors produced little of note except for a glancing header from Ade Yusuff which went just over the bar - and they were hampered with the dismissal of Kieron McCann for two yellow cards in as many minutes, the second of which coming for deliberate handball after he thought he had been fouled.

Slough’s attentions turned to seeing the game out in the corner, and brought on Brad Wadkins to provide the extra muscle for this, which they achieved with relative comfort despite the addition of five minutes stoppage time.

Folkestone Invicta Lineup

Tim Roberts, Jordan Wright (Ian Draycott 67), Nat Blanks, Michael Everitt, Callum Davies (c), Matt Newman, Sam Hasler, Scott Heard, Joe Taylor, Ade Yusuff, Kieron McCann. Unused substitutes: Nick Shaw, Euan Sahadow, Ethan Madden, Tom Walmsley.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024