Rebels claim Boxing Day victory at Arbour Park

Slough Town

Slough Town

Dobson (2), Nisbet (49), Webb (55), Flood (65), James (81)


Walker (69)
League Attendance: 668 George Wells
Slough Town got back to winning ways in EVO-STIK League South Premier with this comfortable Boxing Day victory against Farnborough at Arbour Park.

For the promotion-chasing Rebels it was a first League win since 18 November, with eight of their last 13 fixtures having come in cup competitions. Joint managers Neil Baker and Jon Underwood will now hope that their side can convert their many games in hand into points and climb back up the table early in 2018.

Spencer Day’s talented but inconsistent Farnborough side arrived at Arbour Park having lost their last two games – both away from home – and prior to this they had beaten League leaders King’s Lynn Town at Cherrywood Road, after suffering a home defeat at the hands of Gosport Borough.

And their woes on the road continued, with Slough taking the lead from their first attack. A foul on Brad Wadkins 25 yards out gave James Dobson the opportunity to strike at goal – and he found the bottom corner of Aiden Upward’s goal, with the goalkeeper seemingly caught by surprise, his vision perhaps obscured by the low sun.

Wadkins had a good chance to double the lead minutes later, but put the ball over from Dobson’s whipped cross as he stretched to meet it.

Slough could well have been a couple of goals ahead early on as Wadkins was close to bundling the ball in after Nisbet had headed down the home side’s first corner – but the Rebels had a massive let-off on 24 minutes.

Farnborough worked the ball out to Nic Ciardini on the left, and he easily beat Nathan Smart before crossing in for Perry Coles, but the striker got his finish all wrong and could only shoot straight at Jack Turner with the whole goal to aim at.

Both sides lost a player to injury just past the half hour mark, with Slough forced to bring on Nathan Webb in place of Warren Harris and Farnborough losing Coles, who hobbled off to be replaced by Connor Calcutt.

This seemed to affect the visitors more, with Slough missing several chances to put the game to bed before half time.

Chris Flood fired an inch or two over the bar from the edge of the box, Dobson saw a shot cleared in the goalmouth after he had beaten Upward to the ball, and four minutes before half time Simon Dunn side footed a great chance over from Dobson’s low ball into the middle.

But there was still time for Farnborough to threaten as the half drew to a close, with Josh Huggins heading a free kick wide.

The second half started with Turner saving from Calcutt, but it took Slough just four minutes to finally add their second goal. Dobson swung in a corner and Mark Nisbet rose highest to send a header past Upward and just inside the far post.

That was the cue for the Rebels to start playing some fantastic football, with Wadkins shooting over after a fine team move which led to Lee Togwell laying the ball off for him.

Turner made another important save and Slough went up the other end and made it 3-0 with their next attack. Slough worked the ball to Nathan Webb on the right side of the box, and his attempted cross into the danger area ended up dropping over Upward and into the goal, giving the midfielder a fortuitous first goal of the season.

And on 65 minutes, Chris Flood got in on the act, scoring his first goal in six games. Sean Fraser played a corner kick low into the penalty area and Flood connected with a shot which went through several bodies and past Upward.

Unlike the first half, Slough had made their second half chances count, and the game was beyond Farnborough at this point - but the visitors pulled one back with the impressive Dan Walker coming inside from the left and beating Turner with a firm strike across goal into the far corner.

James Dobson limped off to be replaced by Manny Williams, but a more welcome sight for Slough supporters was the introduction of Gavin James, and the striker made it 5-1 with his first goal since August. Flood had time to pick out Williams in the six-yard box, and although he was tackled well, the loose ball ran to James, who slammed it into the net with his left foot.

The visitors were unable to claim a late consolation despite a spell of pressure, with Turner keeping out Calcutt again with a fine save.

Farnborough Lineup

Aiden Upward, Josh Higgins (c), Matt Jones (Brett Cunningham), Jack Barton (Bobby Dormer), Keith Emmerson, Adam Everitt, Dan Walker, Jake Evans, Lewis Ellington, Perry Coles (Connor Calcutt), Nic Ciardini. Unused substitutes: Matt Roberts, Ed Andan.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024