Rebels knocked out of FA Trophy

Frome Town

Frome Town

Page (9), Jefferies (33)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Putman (5)
FA Trophy Attendance: 151 Warren Harris
Slough Town were knocked out of the FA Trophy by Somerset side Frome Town, who progressed to the Third Round Qualifying thanks to goals from Mitchell Page and Darren Jefferies after Lewis Putman had given the Rebels an early lead.

Strong, swirling winds and heavy rain, combined with a pitch which became heavier as the game wore on, meant very difficult playing conditions for both sides, and Frome, who were missing a number of key players, also had to contend with the controversial sending-off of striker Liam Monelle with 20 minutes remaining.

The game was only four minutes old when Slough's first attack resulted in an eighth goal of the season for Putman, now accustomed to his role on the left wing. Warren Harris used his pace to burst clear of the Frome defence and cross in low. The ball missed two defenders and was controlled well by Putman before being fired into the roof of the net.

Frome responded quickly, though, and four minutes later a corner from Jon Davies was headed past Mark Scott by Page, who successfully broke clear of his marker to deftly flick the ball in.

The home side threatened a second goal, and Davies blazed over from 25 yards. But Slough should really have regained the lead on 12 minutes, when the dangerous Warren Harris again beat his man and crossed in for Putman. This time, though, Frome 'keeper Darren Chitty blocked Putman's effort well with his legs.

Frome went on to put intense pressure on the Slough goal, winning a series of corner kicks. Rob Hobbs bent a long-range strike just wide, before Page stretched to meet a low cross on 23 minutes, but could only put the ball over the bar from a matter of yards out.

Three minutes later, Warren Harris played a neat one-two with his brother Scott and whipped another cross in, and this time Charlie Mpi was off target as he met the ball. Slough's right winger was in the thick of it again soon after, showing great determination to win and retain possession in the middle of the park before releasing Putman, but the winger's low shot was dragged wide of goal.

Crucially, Frome then took the lead with Slough having failed to build on their early goal. With 33 minutes gone, Davies unleashed another 25-yard shot which Scott could only push away and into the path of Jefferies, whose finish was not a simple one, but he managed to find the back of the net via the inside of the near post to give his side the lead.

Slough were second-best in the contest, but still almost managed to equalise three minutes later. Chitty punched away yet another dangerous Warren Harris cross, but only to Ryan Hope who, after two midweek goals at Marlow, thought he had registered a third of the season when his shot went through the legs of Chitty, but the ball was cleared off the line by Jordy Nkunga.

Slough suffered another blow during this attack as Putman remained on the turf after sustaining an ankle injury. He was forced to limp away and was replaced by Nathan Webb.

With half time approaching, Corby Moore played a forward pass to Davies, who got clear of Sean Fraser but Mark Scott did well to force him sufficiently wide of goal to make his shooting chance difficult, and the ball went over the bar.

Slough came out for the second half and looked to attack, but were almost caught out on 48 minutes when Jefferies and Monelle combined, and the latter shot wide when well-placed.

Shortly after, Frome saw a penalty appeal waved away when Monelle appeared to be tripped by Justin Clayton just inside the penalty area, however Slough were awarded the free kick, implying that the referee felt he had dived.

Slough struggled to create the number of chances they had in the first, and Webb blazed well over the edge of the box after a corner was cleared. The Rebels had Leigh Rumbold and Scott Harris cautioned along with Frome's Davies after a robust challenge on Rumbold in midfield resulted in an altercation.

Clayton saved Slough with a crucial near-post clearance with 70 minutes on the clock, and as Frome continued their attack, Monelle again appeared to be fouled just outside the penalty area, but again Slough were awarded the decision and this time Monelle was shown a second yellow card for simulation, resulting in his controversial dismissal.

Charlie Strutton replaced Scott Harris in attack as Slough looked for fresh options, but still Slough attacks were rare and when they did come, felt rushed. Webb struck a shot over from 15 yards and with ten minutes left, Chitty superbly turned over a free kick from Hope 20 yards out.

Frome went close to sealing the win as Hobbs went for goal but was denied by Scott's legs, and substitute James Fitzgibbon was similarly denied.

In the closing minutes Frome tried to hold the ball in the corner and run down the clock, but there was still time for Fraser to pull a dangerous ball across goal which needed to be cleared.

Then, in the fifth minute of added on time, Slough's best chance of the second half came as Rebels goalkeeper Mark Scott found himself with a free header from a corner. Arguably he should have scored, but agonisingly headed the ball into the ground and wide of goal as Slough's time ran out.

Frome Town Lineup

Darren Chitty, Connor Roberts, Sam Teale (c), Rob Hobbs, Jody Nkunga, Stuart Dickin, Jon Davies, Corby Moore, Mitchell Page, Liam Monelle, Darren Jefferies (James Fitzgibbon). Subs not used: Josh Jeffries, Dan Lloyd-Weston, Matt Minnis, Zayne Alim.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024