Next match

Team logo
Hemel Hempstead Town (A)
Sat Apr 13

Next match

Team logo
Hemel Hempstead Town (A)
Sat Apr 13 15:00
The Vanarama National League South

Slough's slump continues against Cambridge

Slough Town

Slough Town

Cambridge City

Cambridge City

Harradine (33), Bacon (70), Dawkin (74), Kelly (89)
League Attendance: 315 Jake Parsons
Slough’s recent slump continued with a heavy home defeat against Cambridge City at Holloways Park.

And just like at Redditch the previous weekend, the Rebels lost by a score of 4-0 with most of the damage being inflicted in the second half.

Slough have now scored just one goal in their previous seven league games, and the Rebels were denied the services of striker Scott Harris due to illness before kick-off – but the home side showed plenty of attacking threat early in the game.

A reshuffled line-up saw James Dobson come back in to the left side of midfield, with Sean Fraser playing a more advanced role on the right. Jake Parsons, playing through the middle, picked up a pass from George Short and dragged a shot well wide from distance.

Short had a go from distance later on, but Cambridge keeper Zac Barrett produced a fine one-handed save to turn it behind.

The visitors posed little threat early on, offering only long shots which Luke Williams easily dealt with, and Ieuan Lewis fired a fierce strike off target.

Slough were largely frustrated by a lack of clear opportunities, as Smith saw a shot blocked by Tom Gardiner, and minutes later he drove into the box from the left but his shot his the stanchion behind the goal.

On the half hour, Cambridge put together their best move, which ended with Feriji Okenadirhie shooting narrowly over the bar.

Just a few minutes later, the visitors did find the back of the net when Buster Harradine latched on to a long ball forward which was allowed to bounce by the Slough defence, and he fired in a half-volley which beat Williams to give Cambridge a half-time lead.

Slough introduced new signing Dan Read early in the second half, and applied plenty of pressure early on. George Short flashed a shot just wide and Smith fired over from Ryan Parsons’ cross as the Rebels started to construct some promising attacks.

However, Slough succumbed to a second City goal on 70 minutes, and again poor defending was on show. Another simple ball over the top was not dealt with, and another superb finish on the half-volley was applied, this time from substitute Chris Bacon.

Slough failed to recover from this, and moments after Tom Moran had been replaced by the returning Jamie McClurg, the Rebels fell three goals behind.

City were awarded a penalty kick after a foul by Guy Hollis, which Josh Dawkin dispatched high into the roof of the net, giving Williams no chance. Two goals in four minutes seemed to drain all the remaining confidence out of Slough, and gave Jon Underwood and Neil Baker's side what proved to be an insurmountable deficit.

Slough were fortunate not to fall further behind when Tom Pepper fired straight at Williams after an attempted clearance fell straight to him, and Danny Kelly fired wastefully over after Williams had made a good block.

But with a minute remaining, Slough’s misery was complete as City did score a fourth. Kelly made up for his miss minutes earlier, flicking home a floated free-kick from the left which was conceded by Reece Yorke.

City, who came into the match with just one win in 12 league games, ended their poor run of form in style, and Slough will now look ahead to next weekend's visit of Cornish side Truro City as an opportunity to turn their fortunes around.

Cambridge City Lineup

Zac Barrett, Tom Pepper, Lee Chaffey, Tom Gardiner, Duran Reynolds, Buster Harradine (c), Ieuan Lewis, Charlie Day, Danny Kelly, Feriji Okenadirhie, Josh Dawkin. Subs: Chris Bacon, Ross Collins, Jon Kaye.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024