Wycombe see off Slough to reach Berks & Bucks semi-final

Slough Town

Slough Town

Wycombe Wanderers

Wycombe Wanderers

Lake o.g. (47), Bloomfield (51), Spring (67)
B&B Senior Cup Attendance: 366 Adam Foulser
An experienced Wycombe Wanderers side eased to victory against Slough Town at Holloways Park in the quarter-final of the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup.

Wanderers boss Gareth Ainsworth named a strong side to face the Rebels, and the four division gap was obvious throughout the 90 minutes, with Slough’s historical rivals striking twice early in the second half after a goalless first.

Wycombe were dominant throughout, but could have fallen behind in the first five minutes as Warren Harris climbed above left-back Charles Dunne to get a header on target, but Charlie Horlock tipped the ball over the bar.

Thereafter, the visitors took firm control of the game and set about trying to break down Slough’s five man midfield, with Ben Edwards, Jamie McClurg and George Short all playing centrally. After a long spell of possession, Dunne’s teasing cross was well cleared, before Jake Somerville saved a long range shot from Steven Craig.

The clearest chance for Wycombe was spurned by Craig, who volleyed over from 12 yards after good work from Josh Scowen on the right, and in response lone targetman Johnnie Dyer sliced a shot well wide as he pounced on a rare mistake 20 yards out.

One of the biggest positives for Slough on the night was the return of Adam Foulser, who got through all 90 minutes, and he cleared a header from Jo Kuffour off the line from a Max Kretzschmar cross.

Somerville blocked superbly from Kuffour as he burst through, and moments later, Jon-Paul Pittman blasted just past the post.

Guy Hollis headed off the line after Kuffour had gently lifted the ball over the advancing Somerville as Wycombe continued to threaten, whilst at the other end Slough’s brightest moment came as Darren Wheeler got free on the right, but he elected to cross rather than shoot as he brought the ball into the box, and former Tottenham defender Gary Doherty cleared easily.

Holding the League Two full-timers at half time was creditable, but Slough fell behind two minutes into the second half as the unfortunate Ryan Lake deflected a shot from Dunne into his own net.

Four minutes later, the tie was effectively settled as a contest as Wycombe scored a second. Matt Bloomfield, who had entered the fray as a half time substitute, danced through the Slough defence and blasted past Somerville from around 15 yards, showing all the experience of a player with over 250 Football League appearances to his name.

Ben Edwards had a shot deflected wide as Slough had a rare sight of goal, but Wanderers pressed for a third goal and Matt Spring, the former Luton Town, Watford and Charlton Athletic man, provided it in style. Picking the ball up in midfield, he rocketed in a 30-yard strike which flew past Somerville and crashed into the goal via a post.

Charlie Horlock was called into action to make his second good save of the evening when Wheeler showed good footwork to make space for a shot, which the goalkeeper deflected over the bar.

Wycombe’s Junior Morias fired well wide after being picked out by former Arsenal trainee Seb Svärd, whilst Hollis hooked another one off the line to keep the score at 0-3.

Scott Harris, who had replaced Dyer as lone striker, was picked out by his brother Warren, but he dragged his shot wide as Slough looked for a consolation.

Somerville held a fiercely struck free kick from Kretzschmar as the game came to a close, with Wycombe having put on a highly professional display to secure safe passage into the next round.

Wycombe Wanderers Lineup

Charlie Horlock, Charles Dunne, Josh Scowen (Matt Bloomfield), Leon Johnson (Anthony Stewart), Matt Spring, Seb Cann-Svard, Jon-Paul Pittman, Jo Kuffour (Junior Morias), Steven Craig, Max Kretzschmar, Gary Doherty (c). Sub not used: Matt Ingram.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024