Slough keep up promotion challenge

Slough Town

Slough Town

Burnell (27), O'Toole (25, 49, 90), Burgess (69)
Leighton Town

Leighton Town

Downes (73)
League Attendance: 221 Ryan O'Toole
Ryan O’Toole made it ten goals in his last seven games with another superb hat-trick as Slough brushed aside the challenge of struggling Leighton Town and kept in touch with the promotion challengers.

The striker has been in top form since breaking into the first eleven, and capped off a fine individual performance with a goal direct from a free kick in the final seconds of the game, adding to two earlier strikes.

Slough looked in a rush to get on the score sheet early on, frantically trying to break through the Leighton back line time and time again. Dan Burnell hit the foot of a post after being played in by the excellent Jake Parsons, and Burnell was again denied by goalkeeper Matt Griggs.

After a few failed attempts, Slough finally took the lead on 25 minutes. This time, O’Toole broke clear of the last defender, rounded Griggs and put the ball past Jack Copson, who was covering in the goalmouth.

Two minutes later, the lead was doubled when Adam Martin broke clear on the right and crossed in low, where Burnell turned on the ball and fired home with his left foot before O’Toole could pounce.

The score at half-time somehow remained 2-0, with Slough spurning other chances, particularly when Burnell rounded Griggs again but pulled his shot across the face of goal.

But further goals would arrive, and O’Toole got his second four minutes into the second half, shooting past the despairing dive of Griggs and into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

With the game won, and a big derby to follow on Monday, Ed Smith replaced Burnell to get some much-needed game time, but it was to be a frustrating 35 minutes for the striker.

O’Toole hit the bar from Kyle Anthony’s cut-back before Ollie Burgess replaced Adam Martin – and Burgess wasted little time making an impact, scoring with his first touch. It followed some fantastic football which saw the ball played out right to Parsons, and his low cross was converted first time by the substitute from around six yards.

Leighton’s Jack Copson blazed a good shooting chance well over, but the visitors pulled one back with their only clear chance of the game, midfielder Jack Downes firing across James Warrington and into the bottom corner.

Slough kept pressing, and cut through time and time again. It seemed a matter of time before more goals would arrive, but Smith fired wide after running on to O’Toole’s header, and Griggs got out smartly to block from Parsons.

Smith’s frustrations continued as he twice missed clear chances, firstly wriggling through but seeing his weak shot easily saved by Griggs, and then side footing a Burgess cross wide from the middle of the box with just Griggs to beat.

O’Toole completed his treble when he curled a free kick past Griggs from the edge of the box after a foul by Dan Hewitt, to complete a comfortable win.

Leighton Town Lineup

Matt Griggs, Jack Pursey, Jack Copson, Dan Hewitt, Jamie Taylor, Sean Bishop (c), Jack Downes, Jerry Nash, Mark Burfoot (Junior Igbinosun), Russell Clark (Carl Harrison), Tremnyne Charles. Subs not used: Kyal McNulty, Joel Ayettey, Marc Boyce.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024