Next match

Team logo
Hemel Hempstead Town (A)
Sat Apr 13

Next match

Team logo
Hemel Hempstead Town (A)
Sat Apr 13 15:00
The Vanarama National League South

Slough make winning return to league action

Slough Town

Slough Town

Burnell (38), Smith (50), Bowden-Haase (82), Parsons (90)
Thatcham Town

Thatcham Town

Everiss (34)
League Attendance: 198 Danny Burnell
Slough recovered from a goal down to beat Thatcham Town at Holloways Park, in the Rebels' first league game in over a month.

Ed Smith almost set up an early goal for strike partner Dan Burnell after slipping past Matt Bowler, but Jon Beames smothered his shot to good effect.

Jack Coventry put a shot wide and Alex Brown headed over when well placed, but Coventry came closer still after he collected a short kick-out from James Warrington and aimed for the top corner from distance – but the Slough keeper got back to claw the ball away.

Burnell, who had an excellent game, failed to beat Beames again after Ollie Burgess had won the ball from Martin Williams and set him through on goal with a pass. Minutes later, the in-form striker sent a dipping shot from distance a foot over the bar.

But the opening goal came from Adam Everiss, the Thatcham midfielder, who gave his side the lead from the edge of the box on 34 minutes after evading David Deeney’s attempted tackle.

Almost immediately, in-form Burnell had a goal disallowed before levelling on 38 minutes from Smith's low cross. The goal followed an excellent move which involved Burgess again, who nicked the ball away from his opponent and played a neat interchange with Smith, and Burnell who played the pass back out to Smith. Beames attempted to cut out Smith’s cross, but was unsuccessful and Burnell fired in with ease.

Burnell’s poaching skills almost earned him a second before the break as Slough had more success down the right side – this time, Sean Fraser’s cross was deflected and rolled between Burnell’s legs before being cleared.

In the second half, Slough dominated and Dom Rhone forced Beames into a good low save, only to be denied by an offside flag.

Soon after though, Smith capitalised on a poor clearance from Jon Beames to put Slough ahead after Stuart Swift showed great vision to pick out his run instead of having a go from distance.

Stuart Swift stung the palms of Beames with a fiercely-struck free kick, with Burnell just unable to seize upon the rebound, and Burgess dragged a shot wide from the edge of the box, but Warrington had to make a smart save from Charlie Hill, who had cut inside from the right and drilled a shot at his near post.

Thatcham had rarely tested James Warrington in the second half, but any nerves were calmed as Nathan Bowden-Haase headed Slough 3-1 ahead from a corner eight minutes from time, Kieran Thorne left with no chance defending the post.

David Deeney then saw a penalty saved by Beames after Paul Taplin had hauled down Smith, for which the Thatcham full-back received his second yellow card – having been cautioned in the first half for ‘simulation’.

Slough poured forward again and again and continued to create chances, and they extended their lead in the final minute with a first Slough goal for Jake Parsons. The winger neatly poked the ball past Beames from 18 yards after Burnell had brought the ball into the box and drawn defenders towards him.

Thatcham Town Lineup

Jon Beames, Damien Smith, Paul Taplin, Sam Flegg, Matt Bowler, Jack Coventry, Martin Williams (c) (Shane Kingston), Charlie Hill, Dean Peltohaka (Kieran Thorne), Danny Seaward, Adam Everiss. Subs not used: Will Bratt, Ricky Allaway, Aaron Carter.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024