AFC Hayes 2-1 Slough Town

AFC Hayes

AFC Hayes

Chakodza (25, 70)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Harper (pen 76)
League Attendance: 126 Dean Harper
Slough travelled to Farm Park knowing that a tough game was in store against a team who had won their previous four league games.

The Rebels had a good penalty shout after just two minutes as Yashwa Romeo appeared to be clipped as he ran through on goal, but referee Redmond judged that a poor touch was to blame.

Slough started confidently on the poor pitch, and after Hayes had unsuccessfully appealed for a penalty after Chakodza was felled, Matthew Platt fired a fierce volley just wide from 20 yards.

Rebels continued to press and Romeo was denied by goalkeeper Harry after Jordan had laid the ball into his path. Clear chances were few and far between, with Brown firing two long shots well wide and Danny Jordan heading straight at Harry from six yards out.

After an AFC Hayes corner was half-cleared, the ball back in found striker Chakodza who looked to be two or three yards offside, but he beat Jackson at the second attempt after the 'keeper had spilled his initial shot to put the hosts ahead.

Minutes later Jackson had to be alert as he superbly parried away an effort from Charlery.

Slough were then dealt a blow as Ricky Allaway limped off, to be replaced by Rory Smith as the Rebels stuck to their 5-2-3 formation.

Five minutes into the second half, Slough thought they should have had another penalty as Platt was felled, but referee Redmond again disagreed and booked Jordan for his protests.

Slough pressed but were unable to break down a resilient Hayes defence, and the home side doubled their advantage with twenty minutes to go to give the Rebels an uphill task. Chakodza used his pace to burst clear of the Slough defence and finished low past Jackson.

Four minutes later, Slough were back in the game. Dean Harper's header was handled on the line by Hayes defender Turner, who was dismissed. Harper slammed the penalty home in customary fashion to give the Rebels hope.

Hayes were able to see out the remainder of the game without too many scares, but with minutes left, Romeo set up Platt on the edge of the box, and the striker's fierce shot was superbly saved by Harry at full stretch.

In the dying seconds, a cross from makeshift striker Luke Evans was just missed by Romeo at the near post, and the final whistle sounded immediately after to spark wild celebrations amongst the AFC Hayes players and staff.

AFC Hayes Lineup

Harry, Turner, Bennell, Bartlett, Nuako, Ahir, Periera, Clark, Chakodza, Papali, Charlery. Subs: Wadge, Homer, Clerkin, Harewood, James.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024