Rebels progress in FA Cup

Slough Town

Slough Town

McGonigley (5), Bubb (25), Durrant (35), Platt (81, 90+3)
Abingdon Utd

Abingdon Utd

J Brooks (12), Curtin (pen 75)
FA Cup Attendance: 211 Byron Bubb
A splendid attacking display from Slough Town saw them victorious in this Preliminary Round replay and through to face Southern Premier side Farnborough.

The Rebels were eager to make their mark on the game very early on after squandering a host of chances at Northcourt Road the previous Saturday. In fact straight from the kick-off, recent signing Byron Bubb charged through the Abingdon defence and forced a good diving save from visiting ‘keeper Lee Farrow with a shot from 25 yards out with just ten seconds on the clock.

Slough broke the deadlock in the fifth minute, but not before Farrow had made another fine full-length save from Luke Evans’ header. However, the ‘keeper was powerless to stop Eamonn McGonigley powering a header home at the far post from a wicked Durrant cross, the defender netting his first goal for the club.

Just seven minutes later however, the visitors drew level as former Rebel Jamie Brooks took advantage when a gap appeared in the Slough defence to shoot low past Jamie Jackson.

On 25 minutes, Slough regained the lead through a trademark free kick from Byron Bubb. A foul on Matthew Platt 20 yards out was just the invitation Bubb needed to step up and curl the ball into the bottom corner past Farrow.

Slough continued to pile on the pressure, with Platt putting one effort wide and Bubb hitting the post with a 25-yard drive. Danny Jordan, still looking for his first goal, saw an audacious flick from a corner land on the top of Farrow’s net.

Anaclet Odhiambo, another former Rebel, was proving to be a good outlet for Abingdon whenever they could break forward, and the tricky striker was put through on goal, only for Jackson to make a fine save, palming the ball behind.

It proved to be an important save, as Slough proceeded to make it 3-1 on 35 minutes. Adam Durrant picked the ball up 25 yards out and hit a belter of a shot past the despairing dive of Farrow to give the Rebels a two-goal cushion at half time.

The start of the second half saw the home side continue to press for more goals, with Bubb seeing another effort saved and Jordan agonisingly close to heading home after another Bubb free kick had been fisted away.

Abingdon came back strongly, and Ryan Fenton and Luke Evans had to be at their best to block a couple of efforts to safety. Then, Jamie Jackson had to be alert to save a well-struck free kick from Ryan Curtin.

The pressure was building on Slough and, soon after Nathan Woodley had blazed a good chance over the bar, Abingdon were awarded a penalty as some shirt-pulling was spotted in the box. Curtin made no mistake from the spot, though Jackson got a touch on the ball, as the deficit was reduced to one.

A nervy finish looked likely until nine minutes from time, as the outstanding Bubb played in Matthew Platt, who latched onto the ball and finished superbly into the top corner off the post to relief all around the ground, particularly for Platt himself, who had worked hard all game for that goal.

And the scoreline took on an even better look for Rebels fans as three minutes into injury time, Platt scored a second, placing the ball low past Farrow after Bubb played him in, to round off an entertaining game and boost confidence ahead of a trip to Taunton on Saturday.

Abingdon Utd Lineup

Farrow, Smith, Organ, Davies, Woodley, McCalmon, J Brooks, Herbert, Holden (Janes), Odhiambo, Curtin. Subs not used: Franklin, Austin, Parker, Johnson.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024