Rebels Downed By Rocks

Slough Town

Slough Town

Bognor Regis Town

Bognor Regis Town

Funnell (30)
League Attendance: 374
Slough Town's disappointing season came to an end as they suffered another defeat against fourth place Bognor Regis Town in a typical end of season match.

Bognor took control of the match in the early stages with their Captain Michael Birmingham bossing midfield, but Slough had the first chance when makeshift left back Junior Haynes fired wide of the post after beating two players. The Rebels also had the next chance when another good run from Haynes down the left saw his cross met by the head of striker Michael Bartley. His header went inches past the post.

It was not long though until Bognor had chances of their own and most of these chances fell to their striker Nicky Wyatt. His first chance came when Keith McPhreson backed off the striker on the edge of the area. His chip was tipped onto the bar by goalkeeper Steve Mautone.

Soon after Wyatt again found himself with space, this time in the area following a Bognor set piece. He saw his shot cleared off the line by player of the season Veli Hakki. Mautone was called into action yet again midway through the half when Wyatt's strike partner Simon Funnell hit a shot on the edge of the area only to be denied by the Australian goalkeeper yet again.

Funnell was not be be denied the goal that Bognor fully deserved at this stage and they got it on thirty minutes. Birmingham once again ran through the non-existent Slough midfield and pushed the ball into the path of Funnell who hit the ball with the outside of his foot into the corner of the net. They could have doubled that lead several minutes later when Matt Russell shot just wide from the edge of the area with Mautone beaten.

The home side were struggling at this stage with their wingers Sammy Winston and Clement James hardly getting a kick. The home side however did create a couple of chances just before half-time. The first chance came when Haynes corner from the left was headed down by Anthony Howard and striker Michael Bartley fired over the bar when he should have hit the target.

Bartley was presented with another chance on the stroke of half-time when Hakki ran at the Bognor defence. He passed to Winston who crossed to the back post to Bartley. He headed over when he should have scored. The second half was probably one of the worst seen at Wexham Park all season with both sides playing very poorly.

Both sides only really had one chance each in this half with Slough's Michael Gilkes hitting a free kick just wide from the edge of the area and Bognor's Richard Hudson hitting a volley at the far post straight at Mautone when he should have scored.

Bognor Regis Town Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024