Match day

Team logo
Hertford Town Blues (H)
Wed Nov 29

Match day

Team logo
Hertford Town Blues (H)
Wed Nov 29 14:00
The National League U19 Alliance

Savage Strike Cancelled Out By McPherson

| League
Att: 190
Walton & Hersham
Savage (38)
1 - 1
Slough Town
McPherson (40)
A goal five minutes before half-time by Slough Town player-coach Keith McPherson cancelled out Walton's Bas Savage's earlier wonder strike to give the Rebels a share of the points at Stompond Lane.

Slough dominated the first half and created most of the chances. After only seven minutes Slough striker Michael Bartley found himself with space in the area, but the former Burnham striker shot over the bar when he should have done better. Soon after the Rebels came close again to opening the scoring. Neville Roach met a long throw by Anthony Howard. He controlled the ball under pressure from former Rebels favourite Alan Dowson and fired in a shot which Walton goalkeeper Luke Garrard pushed onto the post.

Midway through the half Bartley found himself with another chance. A good ball by Hakki found the striker in space, but again leaning back he shot over. On thirty-eight minutes totally against the run of play the home side grabbed an undeserved lead with their first shot of the half. Marcus Rose crossed the ball into the area, which was not properly cleared by the Slough defence. The ball fell to Savage just inside the area who saw his spectacular overhead kick sail into the roof of the net.

Just two minutes later Slough equalised. Veli Hakki was fouled just outside the penalty area with the Slough players and fans claiming a penalty. From Michael Gilkes' free kick Keith McPherson headed the ball into the net unchallenged from close range. Soon after half-time the Rebels had two good opportunities to take the lead. First McPherson had a chance to grab his second goal from a Gilkes corner. Then minutes later Bartley found himself with only Garrard to beat, but his lob hit the bar and bounced to safety.

The home side had their first opportunity of the half after 62 minutes when another former Rebel Garfield Blackman found himself free in the area, but the midfielder shot wide. With Rebels' goalkeeper Gary McCann struggling with a leg injury at this point the Rebels defence was forced to sit back and protect the on-loan goalkeeper wary of Walton's attacking threat.

They limited Walton to only one real chance in the remainder of the match when a long throw by Walton sub Steve Golding saw Paul Harkness dive in at the far-post, but could not direct his header on target and the ball went wide. Manager Steve Browne will think that despite not losing the match he knows that if the Rebels have any chance of promotion this season they must turn their away draws into victories.

Walton & Hersham Line up


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2023