Ullathorne Earns Point For Slough

Tooting & Mitcham Utd

Tooting & Mitcham Utd

McGibbon (34)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Ullathorne (85)
League Attendance: 274 Unknown
A late equaliser five minutes from time by Slough's top scorer Simon Ullathorne gave Slough a well-deserved point in their last visit ever to Sandy Lane against Tooting and Mitcham. Early on in the match the Rebels struggled to adapt to the very poor playing surface and it was the home side who had the best chances in the opening half.

Their first chance came within the first ten minutes. Former Rebels favorite Andy Sayer passed the ball into the path of his strike partner Nigel Webb. His first time effort was well blocked by Slough goalkeeper Gary McCann. The Rebels were struggling at this point with Tooting's physical midfield and defence stopping Slough from creating any clear cut chances.

The Rebels had on loan goalkeeper Gary McCann to thank again midway through the half. Webb ran at Keith McPherson and beat the centre back for pace. He crossed for Conrad Kane who was unmarked at the far post, but his first-time effort was well saved by McCann. It was no surprise though when Tooting did go in front on thirty-four minutes. Steve Stott was adjudged to have fouled Nigel Webb just outside the area. Mark McGibbon stepped up and hit a sweetly struck shot that deflected off the wall and crept low into the corner of the net past McCann.

The goal seemed to wake up the Rebels and in the eleven remaining minutes of the half they seemed to find the confidence and belief that they had been playing with in recent weeks. They nearly snatched an equaliser just before the break. Simon Ullathorne played a tremendous ball to Clement James, who beat McGibbon to the ball and crossed across the face of goal. Sadly for the Rebels the ball evaded everybody when only a touch was needed to bring the scores level.

The second half saw Slough dominate for long periods with Tooting only having one real chance early on in the half when McCann foiled Nigel Webb once again. Ten minutes into the half Tooting goalkeeper Tony Webb was tested for the first time. A Steve Stott free kick into the area resulted in a scramble in the area, from the scramble both Ullathorne and Michael Bartley saw their shots blocked and the ball fell to Anthony Howard. His overhead kick looked set to sneak in the top corner until Tony Webb tipped the ball over the bar.

The Tooting keeper was called into action yet again on 57 minutes. Clement James who was looking a lot more dangerous in this half beat two Tooting defenders and produced an excellent drive which looked set to be a certain goal until Tony Webb produced the save of the match to push the ball over the bar. Soon after James once again went close. This time he beat three Tooting defenders and saw his left-footed drive go inches past the post.

At this stage of the match Slough fans wondered if their team would get anything out of the match. The Rebels had a number of free kicks but many of these were well defended by Tooting. With fifteen minutes remaining Rebels boss Steve Browne threw defender Steve Daly into a makeshift stikers role, and Daly's height up front caused Tooting problems. With five minutes remaining a long ball by Keith McPherson was flicked on by Daly for Ullathorne who lobbed deftly into the back of the net over the advancing Tony Webb.

The Rebels pushed for the winner in the remaining minutes and nearly stole all three points in injury time when Ullathorne again hit a volley inches over the bar.

Tooting & Mitcham Utd Lineup

T.Webb, McGibbon, Symes, Lawson, Forbes, Hams, Frankum, O'Brien, Sayer, N.Webb, Kane. Subs: Onochie (for Kane, 72) Teasdale, Cormack


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024