Another defeat as Rebels miss chances

Oxford City

Oxford City

Slough Town

Slough Town

Mitchell (38, 69), Wimble (57)
League Attendance: 201 Paul Barrowcliff
The Rebels set out to bounce back from their opening day defeat by turning the corner against an Oxford City side which had lost to Carshalton on the opening day.

On a good surface, both sides started well, attempting to play the ball around on the floor with short concise passing. Despite this, both sides seemed more content to keep possession than go for the throat of the opposition and create real chances in front og their opponents goal.
The first real chance of the game fell to Slough's Andrew Deaner. Rake had broken through two challenges down the right wing and cut the ball back across the six yard box past Nelson in the City goal, but as the ball bounced up in front of the Rebels striker, he could not keep his effort from going high over the bar.

Oxford were playing some neat possession football with Thorp and Dark dealing with the threat of Haynes and Deaner comfortably at the back. The first chance for City fell to Druce, but the striker could not keep his headed effort down from a right wing cross.

Slough continued to plug away and the impressive Rake released Haynes through to the edge of the city area where the midfielder shot early, but it was a comfortable save for Nelson. Haynes again tried his luck from range shortly after, and with Nelson beaten, saw his effort flash just the wrong side of the post. Slough were playing well, and in particular, Graham Kemp was enjoying a good spell in the heart of the Slough midfield. Deaner was next to take a shot at Nelson, but the keeper held onto the shot low down to his right.

Oxford should have taken the lead after 30 minutes when a ball over the top saw Steve Daly's header back to Andrews fall short. Mitchell was quick to capitalise on this but as Andrews advanced his attempted lob did not carry enough strength and the keeper was able to recover the ball comfortably.

Slough again began to apply pressure as they were dominating the midfield with Kemp and Rake working well together to create the room for Kemp to try his luck from distance, but the shot was high and wide.

Oxford slowly began to come back into the game and their attractive style of play brought its reward after 37 minutes when a looping cross was misjudged by Chris Andrews. As the young keeper spilled the cross, Drice was quick to react and from out wide cut the ball back inside for Mitchell to slam home and put City in front. City again had the ball in the net two minutes later as Slough's heads dropped after the goal, but Druce's effort was ruled out for offside.

The second half continued as the first finished with both sides attempting to play neat passing football. This resulted in both sides not creating many chances at either end. Oxford extended their lead 13 minutes into the second half when a good diagonal ball into the box was met by Wimble on the volley at the back post who applied the finish to the superb through ball supplied to him.

The next chance of the game saw Oxford extend their lead twelve minutes later. After holding onto the ball for too long Wimble was finally tackled but the ball fell into the range of Mitchell who slid in to knock the ball hard and low. Unfortunately for Andrews, the ball was placed right inside the post, and despite the keepers best efforts, the ball found its way into the back of the net.

Slough began to slowly re-establish themselves with the introduction of Chris White and Peter Holsgrove into the action. Both the subs were involved in a move which saw Nelson produce a great one handed save. Holsgrove received the ball wide on the right wing and out a back post cross into Paul Barrowcliff. The midfielder headed the ball back across into White, whose acrobatic volley was palmed out to a corner. Soon after a Kemp cross was met by an unmarked Barrowcliff in the area, but again, a one handed save by Nelson saw the ball parried away to safety. Another chance fell to Slough as a corner from Kemp was met by the head of Thompson, but the attacker could not keep his effort down as the ball sailed comfortably over.

Oxford finished the game slightly stronger and with their fitness showing, Wise was released down the left wing, but as he cut inside, he shot comfortably over in what was the last chance of the game.

Oxford City Lineup

Nelson, Farley, Dark, Ferriera, Thorp, Organ, Lewis, Whitehead, Druce (Wise 83), Mitchell (McMara 86), Wimble Sub Not Used: Gray


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024