Next match

Team logo
Virgina Water (H)
Fri Jul 5

Next match

Team logo
Virgina Water (H)
Fri Jul 5 19:45
The Vanarama National League South

Rebels Progress In League Cup



Slough Town

Slough Town

Marshall (48), Holsgrove (81)
League Cup Attendance: 194 Andrew Deaner
Slough strolled into the third round of the Ryman League Cup on Tuesday night with a convincing win against neighbours Marlow with goals from Dwight Marshall and Paul Holsgrove.

One noticeable inclusion in the Slough line-up was former winger Lee Archer, who Slough sold to Yeovil before retiring from the game, but he stepped out to make his second debut for the Rebels on the left wing.

The Rebels started the match looking dangerous, but it was Marlow who had the first strike on goal. Bradley picked the ball up on the half way line before running at the Slough defence and firing just over Mautone’s goal.

Two minutes later Slough had a chance when Kemp’s cross from the right fell to Deaner who volleyed the ball over the bar at the far post.

The Rebels had another chance soon after when Archer drilled the ball across the face of goal, which fell to Deaner again but the former Newbury striker saw his effort cleared to safety by a combination of Carroll and Evans.

Archer was involved again soon after, this time though defending at the Slough end. Travis passed the ball out wide to Gibson, and he delivered a perfect cross which would have surely been converted by McDonnell were it not for Archer’s brilliant goaline clearance.

Slough then had two more chances in quick succession, but neither of them were taken. The first fell to Holsgrove, who shot over when he should have done better, then moments later Marshall had a similar effort after a good run. Marshall also saw his shot sail over the bar as well.

Marlow had the last real effort though seconds before the half-time interval. Mautone punched the ball out under pressure straight to Pritchard, luckily though his sliced effort went well wide of the Slough goal.

Slough dominated the early period of the second half. They took the lead on 48 minutes when Deaner’s excellent through ball found Marshall, who outpaced the Marlow defence, took the ball past Carroll and slotted the ball home from an acute angle.

Just as it seemed as though Slough would go onto increase their tally they received a blow when Chris White had to be stretchered off after a collision with Travis in the centre circle.

This stoppage seemed to break Slough’s concentration and Marlow nearly equalised when Gibson took the ball past Chandler and his toe poke went inches wide of the Slough goal.

Slough were soon back to putting the Marlow defence under pressure and nearly scored when Kerr’s long cross from the left found Deaner at the far post, but his header was brilliantly saved by Carroll diving to his left.

On 81 minutes though Slough killed off the game when Holsgrove skipped past three Marlow defenders and coolly side footed the ball past Carroll to give the Rebels a two-goal cushion.

Soon after efforts on goal came from substitutes Hall and James, but neither could take their chances and the match finished with Slough progressing into the third round.

Marlow Lineup

Carroll, Goodall, Lamb, Bradley, Evans, Travis, Pritchard, Flint, Gibson, McDonald, Shepherd. Subs: Bowler, Pedley, Needham.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024