Rebels crash out of FA Cup

Tonbridge Angels

Tonbridge Angels

Bates (33), Robertson (45)
Slough Town

Slough Town

FA Cup Attendance: 578 Darron Wilkinson
Tonbridge emerged victorious in this FA Cup Second Qualifying Round match as a below-par Rebels crashed to defeat.

Both sides started the game brightly with some neat concise passing but neither side could really create a good opening, with both defences coping well. Damian Markman was unlucky with his first half effort coming back off the post.

The first real chance of the game eventually fell to Simpson. Andrew Deaner capitalised on a poor sqaure ball at the back, and with the outside of the feet put a pass into the path of Markman. Radford was quick off his line though to snuff out the danger with his feet, but the ball fell to Simpson 25 yards out, however his chip was off target.

The Rebels were playing some neat football against their Dr. Martens League opposition, but were finding it hard to create real chances. A long kick by Honey was flicked on by Deaner into the path of Markman who shot across the goal only to see his effort cannon back off the post, and be cleared.

Shortly after, amidst a good spell of Slough pressure, Deaner managed to meet a Lambert corner. When the ball came towards White, a slight connection was all that was required, but the defender could not managed to get a touch on the ball and the chance had passed.

Tonbridge's first chance of note fell to Robertson after a scramble in the Slough area, but he could only manage to hit his shot wide. Shortly after this, a high looping cross from the left wing was spilled by Honey and as the ball fell to Bates, he coolly lobbed the ball back over the keeper and into the net to put Tonbridge in front.

With the next chance of the game, Tonbridge found themselves 2-0 in front. A good ball out to Robertson released him down the channel in the left wing. Faced with Daly, he cut back inside and hit a curling shot across the goal into the top corner, leaving Honey with no chance whatsoever.

With the scoreline as it was, Rebels manager Steve Browne decided to make two changes at half time, bringing on Rainford and Marshall for Harvey and Deaner, also changing the formation to a 3-5-2.

Steve Daly was one of a few showing some fighting spirit. Slough controlled the second half, as Tonbridge were willing to soak the pressure and hit on the counter attack, but they were still lacking in creativity.

Slough's first two chances of the half fell on the edge of the area and both to Phil Simpson. His first effort went over the bar when he should have hit the target, and his second attempt from a similar position was comfortably saved by Radford.

Possibly Slough's best move of the second half was a Lambert cross which found the run of Marshall, but his effort was comfortably saved again by Radford.

Tonbridge were looking very comfortable at the back, and for all the possession and neat passing, Slough were not creating a great deal. Tonbridge were more than happy to just sit back and hit on the break which was proving quite effective without creating many chances, and the Angels held on to progress to the next round.

Tonbridge Angels Lineup

Radford, Humphrey, Mayall, Mortley, Gibbs, Bates, Howell, Tutton (Clout, 76), Robertson (Godden, 62), Falana (Bloom, 67), Elliott. Sub not used: Arter.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024