Late goal denies Rebels

Sutton United

Sutton United

Hodson (87)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Deaner (40)
League Attendance: 476 Steve Daly
A goal from Sutton striker Ben Hodson three minutes from time denied Slough a much needed three points at Gander Green Lane, leaving the Rebels in a disappointing mid-table position.

Most of the opening period was played in the Slough half with Sutton having a lot of possession, but their chances were kept to a minimum by a mean Slough defence.

Sutton's first chance came when Thompson crossed in from the right and Sears met his cross with a goalbound volley, which was vitally blocked by Steve Daly.

The hosts squandered another chance on 22 minutes when Harlow took a long throw into the box which caused all kinds of problems. The ball fell at the feet of Hodson, who blazed his effort well over the bar.

Four minutes later Slough had their first chance. Rainford beat two players in midfield before producing an inch perfect cross for Deaner, who miskicked in front of goal when he should have done better.

The slippery and wet conditions were not helping either side at this stage of the game, with the rain still lashing down.

But Slough took the lead against the run of play on 40 minutes. Markman turned two Sutton defenders inside out before crossing the ball into Deaner, who scored his first goal of the season from just two yards out.

The Rebels started the second half playing some much better football. They should have increased their lead on 56 minutes when Markman ran at the Sutton defence. Hammonds and Boothe seemed to get in each others way, which enabled Markman to go through on goal with only Newell to beat, but sadly for the Rebels he dragged his shot wide with both Deaner and Townley in better positions.

Slough could have been left to rue that miss almost immediately after. Walker beat Cramman on the right and produced an excellent cross to Thompson, who somehow contrived to miss the ball altogether with only Murray to beat.

On 72 minutes a tired looking Slough side introduced Mark Hawthorne, just back from illness, and he almost immediately he caused Sutton problems. Minutes after his introduction he won the ball from Walker and crossed the ball for Markman with only Newell to beat, but once again he somehow dragged his shot wide when it seemed easier to score.

After this chance Slough were forced to sit on their lead because of Sutton pressure on the Slough goal. They could have equalised when Ekoku crossed from the left and the ball fell to Thompson, who shot over when he should have at least hit the target.

Sutton were not forced to wait for their equaliser though because on 87 minutes an excellent cross from former Wexham Park favourite Danny Bolt, on as a substitute, forced Murray to punch the ball out - only to see the ball hit McPherson and bounce into the path of Hodson, who made no mistake from two yards.

Sutton United Lineup

Murray, Walker, Boothe, Hammonds, Palmer, Harlow, Sears, Harford, Hudson, Thompson, Ekoku. Subs: Bolt, Berry, Westcott


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024