Chesham disaster spells final game for Roberts

Chesham United

Chesham United

Bowes (14), Allen (44, 90)
Slough Town

Slough Town

League Attendance: 469 Danny Honey
Slough Town turned in a woeful performance as they slumped to a 3-0 defeat at Chesham United on Saturday. The one saving grace for Slough was that Chesham squandered a host of chances. It was a good display by Chesham, but they were able to cruise to an easy victory against a Slough side who offered very little threat to former Rebels keeper Delroy Preddie's goal.

Only a couple of weeks away from the fizz and bang of a fireworks bonanza, you could hardly say a potential explosive local derby in the Ryman Premier was going to be such a tame affair as was witnessed last Saturday, and the absence of Townley, Hawthorne and Pye didn't help.

The switching of tactics devised by Graham Roberts, firstly opting for a positive 4-4-2 formation, quickly to 5-2-3 and at halftime swapping everything by making three changes at the same time, Town were never able to stop the free flowing moves of Chesham or break down their defence.

Slough manager Graham Roberts used all three substitutes at the break, after a disastrous first half display saw Chesham ease their way into a 2-0 half-time lead. Dwayne Plummer, making his Chesham debut on the wing after signing from Stevenage Borough, was a thorn in Slough's side in the same way that Youness Nabil had been in the same fixture last term.

And it was no surprise when Chesham took the lead on 14 minutes, with the impressive Victor Renner crossing for Terry Bowes to nod in at the far post. Chesham deservedly increased their lead when Otis Hutchings and Renner combined to set up Lee Allen, who fired a low shot into the far corner.

Roberts took off Andrew Deaner, Chris White and Youness Nabil at half-time and replaced them with Bryan Hammatt, Eddie Denton and Steve Browne. Roberts' frustration with many of the performances saw him send the players back out after barely five minutes.

And, although Browne's midfield drive and Hammatt's terrier-like front running briefly lifted Slough, it was not enough for the Rebels, who were fortunate not to concede more goals.

All through the second half Slough were frustrated by the solid Chesham defence, and in a desperate final ten minutes with Al-James Hannigan pushed well forward trying for a late glimmer of hope it was then that the home side got back on top.

A great save by Danny Honey, who played with a knee injury, prevented a third Chesham goal, but Chesham carved out a host of opportunities in the closing stages and Allen ran through to slot in Chesham's third right on the final whistle.

Chesham United Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024