Leon's a goner in slack Slough league showing

Walton & Hersham

Walton & Hersham

Tilbury (46), Dowling (74)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Adekola (41), Deaner (58)
League Attendance: 410 Unknown
Lucky Slough Town had the woodwork to thank for sparing them an away defeat against Walton and Hersham on Tuesday. The home side clawed their way back into the match after twice being behind, but Walton striker Marc Coates held his head in shame after his 90th minute shot crashed against the Rebels crossbar.

For the second match in succession Slough striker Bryan Hammatt had a golden opportunity to hit the net, once again with under a minute on the clock. But despite being unmarked and having time and space to ready himself, he headed over from just five yards out.

Hammatt was dangerous front and tried a great shot on the turn from 25 yards out that was well saved. Danny Honey looked particularly shakey in between the posts for Slough and almost gifted the home side the lead when he miss kicked the ball letting in Coates and then found himself rooted to the spot when Gary Holloway tried an audacious 30 yard shot which raced inches wide.

David Rainford came closest to scoring on the half hour mark, striking a fierce low drive which Walton keeper Mark Watson held it at the second attempt. The deadlock was broken however four minutes before the break. Three near post corners in succession eventually told on the Walton defence as David Adekola got ahead of the keeper to nod the Rebels in to the lead. Poor defending had cost the home side dear but their response in the second half was emphatic.

Less than a minute had been played when former Combined Counties striker Harry Tilbury pounced on a cut back from Coates, beating Honey at his near post to bring Walton level. Slough boss Graham Roberts replaced the ineffective Mark Pye and goalscorer Adekola with Eddie Denton and Andrew Deaner and both players had chances to wrap up three points for the Rebels.

Denton squandered two clear chances for Slough, first, scuffing a shot straight at the keeper, and next wasting a one on one chance as Watson pulled off a good save. Deaner struck a 30-yard volley just over the bar on 52 minutes, but hit what should have been the Rebels winner six minutes later.

Another near post corner was undefended by Walton allowing Deaner time to head the ball past the keeper and over the line, according to the referee, before the home side could clear the ball. There were protests by the Walton players who felt that the ball did not cross the line, but the referee stood his ground allowing the goal to stand.

Disaster struck for Slough as they were handed a double blow when Tilbury once again eluded the visiting defence. With just Honey to beat and an equaliser looking odds on, Tilbury was felled by the former Brentford defender Leon Townley. A penalty was awarded, but to add salt into Slough's wounds, Townley was rightly red-carded.

More drama followed as Luke Dowling was forced to take the spot kick twice by the referee, after beating Honey at the first attempt. But the former Reading YTS player kept his cool to fire the ball in, this time sending Honey the wrong way.

'Walton pressed for a winner as Slough looked exposed at the back, although they did have two appeals for penalties turned down much to the frustration of the Rebels bench. A nervous last few minutes followed for Slough and Roberts will no doubt be satisfied with a point in the circumstances, especially after Coates' last minute miss ensured that both teams went home with a point.

Walton & Hersham Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024