Steady Eddie seals last gasp point for Slough

Carshalton Ath

Carshalton Ath

Barber (76)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Denton (90+3)
League Attendance: 320 Unknown
Supersub Eddie Denton rescued the Rebels' unbeaten record with a last-gasp equaliser to secure a point against 10-man Carshalton on Monday night. Denton, who had been on the field less than 20 minutes, struck well into injury time to send Slough supporters home relieved after watching their side step back from the brink of defeat.

The Rebels had failed to unlock a stubborn Carshalton defence, despite piling on the pressure when the home side were reduced to 10 men late on. But Denton combined with fellow second-half substitute Mark Pye, who nodded back Dave Timothy's deep cross, allowing him to volley home off the underside of the crossbar.

The draw was one the Rebels just about deserved, even if their hosts had looked the more incisive in front of goal for most of the night. Youness Nabil tested the experienced Adrian Blake early on, firing a vicious drive which the keeper dived to his left to save.

Midfielder Dave Rainford blasted a curving left-foot effort just over the Carshalton bar, while new signing David Adekola displayed several neat touches around the penalty area. But Paul Wilkerson was soon called into action, saving both close-range and long-distance efforts from in-form Richard Newbery.

When the Slough keeper miscued a punch, Junior Haynes was narrowly off target with a looping volley and Matt Fowler was not too far off the mark when he lobbed Wilkerson from 30 yards. Yet Paul Barrowcliff went closest to opening the scoring just before half-time, with a hopeful effort which was deflected onto the post.

After the interval, Slough started to look the more dangerous side, with Adekola swivelling on Micky Engwell's header to hammer a shot just wide. Nabil then created the best opportunity of the game, evading two challenges and slipping the ball square to Mark Hawthorne, whose low effort was brilliantly blocked by Blake.

But it was Carshalton who edged in front with 14 minutes remaining, as Slough failed to clear a cross and ex-Crystal Palace midfielder Phil Barber unleashed a sizzling piledriver into the top corner of the net from 25 yards.

The Rebels were given a boost soon afterwards, however, when Haynes looked harshly treated to be shown the red card for elbowing Al-James Hannigan. Spirited Carshalton defending stemmed the yellow tidal wave, with Lee Akers hacking Adekola's goalbound shot off the line.

Slough might well have thought it was not to be their night when, with two minutes left, Adekola played Pye through, only for Matt Elverson's timely tackle to halt him. But they kept pressing until the very end and were rewarded when Denton netted to maintain the club's unbeaten start to the season.

Carshalton Ath Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024