Next match

Team logo
Hemel Hempstead Town (A)
Sat Apr 1

Next match

Team logo
Hemel Hempstead Town (A)
Sat Apr 1 15:00
The Vanarama National League South

Hayes hit high five as Rebels' gloom goes on

| League
Att: 768
Hall (55), Randall (10, 37, 61), Goodliffe (76, pen)
5 - 0
Slough Town
Gary Brazil
Even the drummers were finding it a strain by the end, beating out a subdued slow rhythm as they watched their team reduced to nine men and trailing by five goals. Slough's first half performance was poor, and the 2-0 scoreline was probably a fair reflection.

But the Rebels came out for the second half fired up and looking a different team, and the game could have turned out very differently if the referee had given a penalty when Gary Brazil was brought down in the box in the 54th minute.

Nothing was given, and a minute later Hayes had caught Slough on the break and added a third, after Mark Hall beat Steve Bateman and put a good shot into the bottom corner. Brazil went agonisingly close to reducing the deficit on 57 minutes when he got a touch to Derek Simpson's low cross, but his effort was just wide of the far post.

Just after the hour mark Cliff Hercules was shown the red card for kicking out at Hayes' Martin Randall as he lay on the ground in the box. Randall scored the penalty to make it four, and claim a hat-trick. Though by now there was very little chance of getting back in the game, Slough played some of their best football when they were down to 10 men.

Gary Abbott was looking sharp and regained some of his early season form, on one occasion twisting and turning his way past three defenders. Mark Fiore worked tirelessly the whole 90 minutes, and was unlucky not to be rewarded with a consolation goal in the last minute when his shot rolled wide. And Andy Clement was always in the thick of the action, as the whole team showed more commitment to winning the ball.

But another move on the break in the 76th minute brought a shot from Jason Roberts that beat Noel Imber, making his debut in the Slough goal. Simpson, on the line, stuck out a hand to keep it out, and became Slough's second red card victim of the day.

With Randall having been substituted, Jason Goodliffe went up to take the penalty, and added the fifth goal. Slough did battle well in the second half, and Abbott's re-discovered confidence on the ball will have pleased manager Brian McDermott. But his team were made to pay for their disjointed first-half performance, which saw passes going badly astray.

Randall opened the scoring for Hayes in the 10th minute when he got on the end of a free kick to shoot through a crowd of players.

The second came eight minutes from half-time when Randall headed home from a long cross by Randall, leaving Imber motionless, looking for an offside flag.

Hayes Line up

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2023