Spot-on Rebels reach County Cup semi-finals

Slough Town

Slough Town

Davies (14), B Harris (24) - Slough Town win 3-2 on penalties
MK Dons

MK Dons

Asonganyi (37, pen 51)
B&B Senior Cup Attendance: 258 Scott Davies
Slough Town began their defence of the Berks & Bucks FA Senior Cup with a penalty shootout victory over League One MK Dons.

The Rebels progress to the semi-finals as a result, after a much-changed Slough side took on a very strong MK Dons team which included several regular first team starters.

Included in the Slough starting lineup were Manny Williams and Aaron Kuhl, with Lee Togwell partnering Mark Nisbet in the centre of defence.

MK Dons didn’t take long to prove they had turned up looking to win, with several chances in the opening minutes. Jack Turner needed to be alert when a low cross made it across the box, but he was off his line quickly to smother the striker.

The visitors dominated possession through out the game but the Rebels were more than happy to predominantly play the ball across their defence. Holding their position well, Slough were able to close down and win the ball back often when the Dons did progress further upfield.

On 14 minutes that press worked better than expected. With Slough winning the ball back in their own half, Scott Davies had the ball and saw the goalkeeper on the edge of his box. Like his first Slough goal two months ago, he showed his vision and ability to lob goalkeeper Andy Fisher from within his own half and continue to prove he just doesn’t do tap-ins.

With the lead, Slough were able to relax a little and open up their own game. Playing with a little more freedom, they began creating a few chances with Ben Harris causing a nuisance in the opposition defence.

A driving run saw Ben brought down centrally 25 yards out. With George Wells, Scott Davies and Ben Harris around the free kick, it was Harris who stepped up and curled a beautiful effort over the wall and down into the bottom corner, beating Andy Fisher and doubling the lead on 25 minutes.

The visitors were struggling to break the Rebels down with their passing but began to have joy when players went on individual runs. They came close on 31 minutes when Dyllan Asonganyi hit a shot on the turn but Jack Turner was equal to it.

However, five minutes later the visitors had a goal back. A through ball by Charlie Pattison found Asonganyi in the box with his low shot beating Turner and going in off the post.

Slough were left annoyed by the referee on 41 minutes. Paul Hodges brought the ball forward, being brought down but able to get a pass away to Ben Harris. The referee waited a second before blowing for a free kick, however, had he waited just a bit longer he would have seen Hodges had played Ben Harris through one-on-one.

MK Dons had the final chance of the half when the ball bounced kindly for their player to hit a half volley, but straight at Turner who had no problem pushing it over the bar.

Half time arrived and the Rebels made a pre-planned substitution, with Ben Harris off and Dan Roberts on.

The first chance of the half fell to Manny Williams. A great ball forward saw him pluck it out of the air but his second touch let him down with the ball just out of reach when in a position to shoot.

A minute later, Roberts had his first chance when Wells chipped the ball over the MK Dons defence – Roberts’s shot went across goal without troubling the keeper.

MK Dons levelled the scores on 50 minutes. Sloppy play in the Slough defence gave the ball away near their own box with the visitors taking the chance to drive into the box before their man was brought down for a penalty. Asonganyi stepped up and wrong-footed Turner.

Whilst Slough sat deep for much of the second half, they continued to look threatening on the attack, with Scott Davies playing a ‘quarterback’ role spreading the play from side to side.

The Rebels came close to regaining the lead shortly after losing it. Aaron Kuhl, with a point to prove, won the ball on the edge of the visitors’ box but was unable to get a shot away. The ball came quickly to Hodges who was quickly blocked too. That would be Hodges’s final play of the night as he was replaced by Warren Harris.

Warren was involved immediately, finding a cross to Williams which was headed away but onto Roberts who couldn’t quite control it.

A long period of possession followed for MK Dons but they rarely broke through a resolute defence. When they did there was always a Slough boot on hand to nick the ball away or Jack Turner coming out to narrow the shooting angle.

Slough started to struggle creating chances with the ball often running away from them in the final third. The best example being a cross to Roberts who had to spin to shoot and slicing his effort sideways.

The scores remained level as the referee blew for full time at 2-2.

In the shootout, MK Dons scored first through Baily Cargill, with Roberts also netting his first kick to make it 1-1.

Jack Turner saved Hiram Boateng’s effort before stepping up and scoring himself to give Slough a 2-1 lead.

Kieran Agard hit his penalty over the bar whilst Scott Davies scored his to make it 3-1 to Slough.

Jordan Bowery scored the fourth penalty with Mark Nisbet seeing his shot saved, making it 3-2.

Then, in the final round of kicks, Malaki Black hit the crossbar giving Slough the win.

Report: Will Tuck

MK Dons Lineup

Andy Fisher, Charlie Pattison (c), Jack Davies (Malaki Black 61), Conor McGrandles (Tom Rowley 61), Mich'el Parker, Baily Cargill, Dyllan Asonganyi, Hiram Boateng, Jordan Bowery, Kieran Agard, Sam Nombe (Ryan Harley 67). Unused substitutes: George Rose, Josh Bailey.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024