Rebels ease to victory over St Ives

Slough Town

Slough Town

Hollis (35), Moone (47), Barney (64)
St Ives Town

St Ives Town

League Attendance: 349 Paul Stonehouse
Slough bade farewell to Holloways Park with an excellent performance and result against St Ives Town.

The Rebels dominated throughout and could have scored more than the three goals they registered, whilst the back five, who have now kept clean sheets in all three home games so far, never really looked in danger of being breached.

Lewis Putman was influential on the left early on, whipping in a number of dangerous low balls which were repelled by St Ives. One such cross was controlled by Lee Barney, who was able to swivel and get in a shot from 12 yards, but he put it over.

Slough largely kept their visitors penned back in their own half, with St Ives’ first effort at goal a speculative effort from long range by Andrew Phillips, which was deflected well wide.

Barney had a clear chance on 23 minutes when a Guy Hollis long throw found its way through to the back post, where the striker saw his point-blank header saved by Oliver Sutton.

Slough were denied on numerous other occasions by defensive blocks, with Barney and Simon Dunn both denied, but eventually opened the scoring on 35 minutes as Guy Hollis lashed in a loose ball after Putman's long free kick was knocked down.

St Ives' best moments came shortly before half time. Mark Scott made a smart reaction save to turn away Harry O'Malley's free header at full stretch, and then a looping header back across goal hit the bar before being cleared.

But that was as good as it got for St Ives, and within two minutes of the restart, Slough doubled their lead. Charlie Moone turned and drilled a low shot past Sutton after Paul Stonehouse, who was able to get forward and support Putman on the left, did well to cut the ball back.

Scott then did well to keep out Ben Seymour-Shove’s shot with his right foot, but Slough were sharp, determined and well on top, and missed further good opportunities to kill the game off. Warren Harris raced through as the visitors seemed to stop playing with Moone standing in an offside position but inactive, but Harris’ effort was turned behind by Sutton.

Mark Nisbet fired wide after Moone’s shot was cleared off the line by Joe Carden, but Slough did register their third goal on 64 minutes to end any hopes of a comeback. Moone danced past two defenders and slipped the ball through for Barney, who coolly placed his finish into the bottom corner.

Sutton helped keep the score down with further saves from Stonehouse and Sean Fraser as Slough continued to dominate, whilst substitute Gavin James, clearly determined to score his first for the club, was frustrated as Lee Chaffey got an important touch on the ball as he was about to fire in a shot.

St Ives Town Lineup

Oliver Sutton, Harry O'Malley, Jordan Jarrold, Lee Chaffey (c), Liam McDevitt, Jake Higgs, Ben Seymour-Shove, Tom McGowan, Andrew Phillips, Scott Sinclair, Josh Dawkin. Subs: Charlie De'ath, Lewis Clayton, Joe Carden, Allan Owen.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024