Rebels unable to complete comeback

Slough Town

Slough Town

Romeo (50), Jordan (85)
Cinderford Town

Cinderford Town

Cowe (21, 48), Bevan (36)
League Attendance: 176 Dean Harper
Steve Bateman's first match in charge of Slough Town ended in defeat as his side narrowly failed to come back from three goals down in the driving rain at Holloways Park.

The new boss, without having the advantage of a training session in which to acquaint himself with his new players, organised the team into a strict 4-4-2 formation, with Makh at right-back, Danny Jordan partnering Chris Fermie in central midfield, and Tom Attrell and Byron Bubb as out-and-out wingers.

From the start it was evident that the Rebels players would take time to adjust to their new roles, with Cinderford having the better of the play in the atrocious conditions. Slough were restricted to long-range efforts from Fermie, whereas the visitors looked a threat with Cowe, Bevan and Sommers in attack.

Slough succumbed to the pressure with 21 minutes gone. A mix-up in defence allowed Steve Cowe to nip in, take the ball around Jackson and plant it into the back of the net with ease.

The Rebels were rocked and had Jackson to thank soon after, the ‘keeper making a splendid save down to his left to turn a low sidefooted effort from Cowe wide of the post.

Cinderford’s second goal also had a touch of fortune about it. A long ball forward was met by the head of Allaway, with the defender trying to nod it back to Jackson. However, he did not get enough on it and Jodie Bevan was presented with the relatively simple task of placing the ball wide of Jamie Jackson and into the net.

Knowing a goal would get them right back into the game, Slough came out of the dressing room looking for a response, but instead found themselves 3-0 down three minutes into the half. Again the visitors were able to capitalise on a defensive error, this time from Jackson, which allowed Cowe an easy second goal.

Slough’s fight back started just two minutes later. This time, a mix-up in the Cinderford defence allowed Yashwa Romeo to nip in and beat Matt Bath.

The home side began to get into their stride and the introduction of Scott Webb gave Slough more impetus as his bursts down the right wing gave the Cinderford defence work to do. Indeed, Webb was inches wide when he stuck out a leg to Byron Bubb’s cross, but the ball sailed the wrong side of the post.

Slough continued piling the pressure on and grabbed a second goal from Danny Jordan with five minutes to go. Fenton’s free-kick was launched high into the box and Jordan rose highest to plant his effort into the top corner to set up a frantic finish.

Roy Gumbs, introduced in place of Platt, gave Slough an aerial target which was used at every opportunity. His knock-down led to shots being blocked from Romeo and then Gumbs himself, with the Cinderford defence holding firm.

Right at the death, Jordan thought he had rescued a point as his firm header skidded off the drenched turf, but Bath got across superbly to push the ball away from the bottom corner to ensure the visitors would take the three points away, leaving Slough to rue individual errors in an otherwise promising performance.

Cinderford Town Lineup

Bath, Whitcombe, Harrison, Griffith, Thompson, B Davies, Evans, Cowe, Bevan, Sommers, Hartland. Subs: T Davies, Truman, Caldwell.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024