In-form Clarets defeat Slough at the Meadow

Slough Town

Slough Town

Chelmsford City

Chelmsford City

Edwards (8), Cross (90)
League Attendance: 388 James Saulsbury
The Rebels welcomed in-form Chelmsford City to Stag Meadow, Slough needing to kick start their league form and attempt to make a push up the table away from the relegation zone.

Chelmsford were making a late run for a play-off place, so this match would test the Rebels.

The match started well for the home team, Chelmsford’s goalkeeper miskicked a simple clearance and Ryan Spencer had a chance to open the scoring. However he shot from range and the ball dipped over the post.

Michael Murphy broke away down the left flank and delivered a lethal cross into the box, unfortunately the chance could not be capitalised on and the opportunity was wasted.

Immediately after the Rebels had an identical chance, however this time Murphy couldn’t make the delivery and the ball went out of play.

Just eight minutes in, Chelmsford took the lead. Bad marking at the back post allowed Russell Edwards to head home from a corner. This was an early blow for the Rebels and Chelmsford were growing in confidence.
The Rebels received another setback when Ryan Spencer limped off injured, young Leigh Mason replaced him and had the opportunity to impress.

Chelmsford were showing why they had made a recent climb up the table. Goal scorer Edwards had a great opportunity to double his team’s lead, however Shaun Allaway pulled out a terrific low save, the ball was cleared by Steve Daly and Slough had a reprieve.

The Rebels were being completely dominated. Chelmsford had further opportunities but didn’t take them. Slough should have considered themselves lucky to only be one down at half time.

Slough came out for the second half five minutes early, an indication that they wanted to get right back into it. Chelmsford, who had had a great first half, were starting to look flustered in defence and frustrated with the lack of chances being created. Slough were starting to edge the possession and were showing glimpses of good football.

Chelmsford looked happy to sit back and let Slough come at them. Mason took the opportunity and shot from range, and although the shot was saved, Slough’s confidence seemed to be growing.

Josias Carbon had been frustrated in the first half at not being able to break away, but he made an exquisite attacking run, unfortunately the defence swarmed at him and gained possession. Eddie Denton swapped things around, replacing Matt Murphy for young Daniel Cann, and he immediately had a go at goal, his powerful shot veering wide of the post.

Time was running out for Slough and Denton pushed everyone forward in search of an equaliser. Carbon found space in the Chelmsford area and slipped the ball past the away keeper. Unfortunately the assistant referee deemed Carbon to be offside and disallowed the goal.

With Slough pushing everyone up it was inevitable gaps would appear in the defence – and Cross latched on to a long ball and shot past a stranded Allaway to seal victory for his team.

Chelmsford City Lineup

Paul Nicholls, Lee Williams, Michael Haswell, Simon Clarke, Russell Edwards, Richard Thomas, Garry Cross (Louis Riddle), Craig Edwards, Gary Ansell, George Lay (Helder Valdez), Julian Edwards (Liam Hopkins). Subs not used: Shayne Mangodza, Wesley Jackman.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024