Marshall ends Rebels' hopes

Slough Town

Slough Town

Hitchin Town

Hitchin Town

Marshall (52)
Ryman League Cup Attendance: 210 Unknown
Slough's interest in this season's Isthmian League Cup ended with a narrow defeat to Premier Division strugglers Hitchin Town at Wexham Park on Saturday. The outcome wasn't a fair reflection of the game as both sides played some excellent football on a half frozen pitch.

The deciding factor was the 52nd minute finish from Shaun Marshall who had prior to the goal, unerringly found Slough keeper Gary McCann with his previous efforts.

The goal came when Rebels carelessly gave the ball away, allowing Darren Sarll to make unhindered progress into the box before squaring for Marshall to slot home from 15 yards.

The visitors had made the brighter start, dominating the opening 20 minutes as Rebels struggled to get going with Marshall twice wasting opportunities. Slowly, Slough forced their way into the game and with defender Steve Daly having their first effort on goal following a short corner which was easily saved by Hitchin keeper Jamie Robinson.

Robinson though was scrambling ten minutes later and was relieved to see Scott Cretton's miscued clearance loop just over the bar from Anthony Howard's cross. Another cross from Howard saw Neville Roach, partnering the recalled Andy Deaner up front, shoot wide after Veli Hakki's neat dribble had carved out the opening.

Early in the second period, a crossfield run from Clement James played in Paul Barrow-cliff and his cross shot just eluded both Deaner and Roach at the far post. The half fit Simon Ullathorne was then replaced by Sammy Winston but within a minute of his arrival, Marshall struck what proved to be the game's clincher.

After that, Rebels dominated the game territorially and with Roach and Winston both testing Robinson and Roach was just off target after a neat turn and shot on the edge of the box.

With time running out for the Rebels, their efforts became increasingly frantic and even the introduction of Michael and Mark Bartley for the final ten minutes failed to bring an equaliser. On the day, Assistant boss Eddie Denton was in charge of team affairs due to a family illness for manager Steve Browne.

Hitchin Town Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024