McPherson goal seals win for Rebels

Slough Town

Slough Town

McPherson (87)


League Attendance: 433 Keith McPherson
Rebels got back to winning ways with this 1-0 win over Hendon, thanks to Keith McPherson's late strike.

Slough decided to keep with the same team which were unlucky to be defeated against Aldershot last weekend, apart from the inclusion of Mark Hall in place of Tony Thompson, who was out injured.

The Rebels found it tough early on with Hendon, who have played nine fewer matches than the Rebels, looking a lot sharper, but despite their possession they did not have many chances as the Rebels defence stood firm.

The midfield seemed to be a problem for Slough. Chris White looked uncomfortable in his midfield position, Paul Barrowcliff was his normal self and Steve Black was struggling to get into the match, and with three defensively minded players both Mark Hall and Paul Coombs were suffering up front.

The first chance of the match fell to the Rebels. A long ball by Chris Allen was headed on by Garry Cross, but his effort just drifted wide of the post.

On eighteen minutes Hendon had the first chance of the game. A corner from the right by Jason Soloman was superbly met by Rene Street who saw his glancing header well cleared off the line by Cross with keeper' Steve Mautone beaten.

The remainder of the half was uninspiring with both sides canceling each other out. Half chances fell to Street again for Hendon who headed over from the edge of the area and Paul Coombs, but neither could take their chances.

Just three minutes onto the second half, and excellent through ball by Chris White found Paul Coombs through on goal. The striker, yet to score for the Rebels though was only denied opening his account by a excellent last ditch tackle by Hendon debutante Rene Street.

Slough then received a massive blow when the Rebels best player Paul Holsgrove - again outstanding in defence had to hobble off injured to be replaced by Graham Kemp. This move saw Chris White revert to a central defensive position where he looked far more comfortable and Graham Kemp take a place in midfield.

The loss of Holsgrove seemed to rock the Rebels defence as Hendon had two excellent chances to take the lead in a ten minute spell of pressure by the visiting side. Their first chance fell to Paul Adolphe again who saw his good header this time well saved by Steve Mautone.

The second came from the penalty spot after Chris White was adjudged to have fouled Hendon's former Watford midfielder Jason Soloman. Warren Kelly stepped up to take the penalty, but Mautone diving to the right superbly saved the penalty, Soloman following up headed towards goal but Mautone produced an even better save to tip the ball over.

The penalty save and the late introduction of Junior Haynes and Damien Markman seemed to wake Slough up and they were looking more threatening now, but despite the Rebels efforts the game looked like it would end up as a stalemate.

But three minutes from time a free kick from Chris Allen was cleared by the Hendon defence only to sub Graham Kemp, who lofted the ball back into the area for Keith McPherson to head past Gary McCann in the Hendon goal.

Hendon Lineup

McCann, Watson, Clarke, Gridelet, Street, Fitzgerald, Adolphe, Kelly, Guenchev, Haule, Soloman. Subs: Adekola, Binns, Pickett.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024