Rebels pick up much needed win at Carshalton

Carshalton Ath

Carshalton Ath

Slough Town

Slough Town

Holsgrove (87)
League Attendance: 395 Paul Holsgrove
A goal three minutes from time from Slough sweeper Paul Holsgrove gave the Rebels a much needed victory against fellow strugglers Carshalton Athletic last night.

The Rebels could have been a goal down after two minutes when Carshalton's full back Andy Walker played a neat ball through to Simon Liddle who saw his shot saved by recalled keeper Steve Mautone. His follow up was also cleared off the line by captain Steve Daly.

Soon after Slough had their first half chance of the match. A inswinging corner from Mark Hall was fumbled under pressure by the Robins on loan goalkeeper from Wycombe Mark Osbourne only to see Lee Rogers clear the ball to safety, close to his own goal line.

The Robins' striker Matt Fowler, recently back at Carshalton following spells at Dulwich and Woking had the best chance of the game for Carshalton on 13 minutes when a long free kick fell at the feet of Fowler with a clear run on goal. His low shot was brilliantly pushed away from danger once again by Steve Mautone.

On 27 minutes the Rebels received a body blow when captain Steve Daly had to be replaced by Dave Rainford because of a nasty head injury.
This saw Steve Stott revert to a centre back position and Rainford take a place in midfield and the change seemed to liven the Rebels up.

Slough's best first half chance came on 34 minutes when Tony Thompson shot just over the bar after latching onto Cross' through ball.

Then soon after the impressive Thompson created a chance for Mark Hall who saw his curled effort gathered by Osbourne when Hall should have done a lot better.

The Rebels moved up a gear in the second half and on 46 minutes Chris Allen easily beat two men on the right and Rainford should have scored from his near post cross but volleyed over the bar.

Four minutes later Carshalton had their first opportunity. Some good play by Robson set up a chance for Justin Jones on the edge of the area, but Jones fired over the bar.

Midway through the first half Slough should have opened the scoring when a long pass from Mark Hall found Thompson in space. Keeper Osbourne came out to meet him and Thompson tried to lob the keeper, but at the vital moment lost his composure and the chance was lost.

Dave Rainford came close again on 77 minutes when his glancing header, from a Slough corner, shot inches over the bar.

Just as a draw seemed inevitable, on 87 minutes Garry Cross was fouled wide on the right. Allen's free kick caused mayhem in Carshalton's area and the ball fell nicely to Holsgrove who finished clinically to secure all three points.

Eight minutes of stoppage time was added to add to the tension of the match, with the Slough fans minds going back to recent matches against Dulwich and Basingstoke, but despite a few late Cashalton corner kicks the Robins never threatened and Slough won their first game in the league for eight matches much to the delight of the traveling supporters and players alike.

Carshalton Ath Lineup

Osbourne, Walker, Rogers, Drewett, Brodrick, Elverson, Robson, Dooley, Fowler, Liddle, Jones. Subs: Wright, Fairbrother, Pace.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024