Slough lose five goal thriller as Daggers find cutting edge

Slough Town

Slough Town

Hall (2), Adekola (81)
Dagenham & R.

Dagenham & R.

Broom (22), Jones (46), Janney (79)
League Attendance: 592 David Rainford
Slough Town stunned Ryman League Premier Division leaders Dagenham and Redbridge on Saturday with a second minute wonder goal from Mark Hall but the Daggers staged a sensational comeback to win the five goal thriller. Former Plymouth and Luton player Dwight Marshall, a loan signing from Kingstonian, sparked the Rebels into life when he raced past two defenders and crossed dangerously to Hall, who fired his volley clinically past Paul Newell to give Slough the perfect start.

However, the Rebels chose to sit back on their lead rather than penetrate the Dagenham defence and paid the ultimate price. First Dagenham pressured the Slough goal with three successive corners which gave the lively Paul Cobb an opening to fire a low drive which was well saved by Danny Honey. The traffic remained one-way as Cobb ran rampant in the Rebels half and, on 19 minutes it was the Daggers player who had a penalty appeal turned down after being sent tumbling in the Slough box by Steve Daly.

Cobb was involved again two minutes later when he combined with Jason Broom to set up Matt Jones, but he sent his effort wide of Honey's goal. Dagenham got their just reward on 22 minutes courtesy of a slip in the Slough defence. Daggers man of the match Mark Janney broke down the right and when the Rebels failed to clear his cross, Broom found himself unmarked and buried the ball under Honey for a deserved equaliser.

Striker Matt Jones almost gave Dagenham the lead four minutes later but fired his shot over from just six yards out after a scramble in the Slough penalty area. Mark Pye left the field on 45 minutes replaced by Youness Nabil, but the second half started in disastrous fashion for Slough.

Just a minute after the break Leon Townley and Daly combined to make a hash of the clearance and Jones raced in on Honey, already committed on the edge of his area, and lobbed the ball over the the former Yeading keeper in superb style.

Dagenham continued to set pace and only a desperate clearance by Al-James Hannigan at the near post from Jones kept the Rebels in the match. Daly almost scored on 70 minutes from Slough's first corner of the game. Dave Rainford's cross picked out the tall centre back, who rose superbly to head inches over the Dagenham bar.

It was Rainford's well timed saving block that prevented Cobb from racing through after an Engwell error with 18 minutes to play and, Jones went close soon after with a spectacular over head kick which was well saved by Honey.

Dagenham's pressure took its toll on the Rebels defence and with 11 minutes remaining, the league leaders wrapped up a valuable away win, from yet another mistake in the Slough defence. Steve Heifer played a through ball towards Janney which Engwell totally misjudged setting the Daggers' striker free on Honey's goal. Janney coolly rounded Honey and then slotted the ball in at the near post, beating Townley who tried to recover with an attempted sliding block.

Slough hit back immediately when substitute David Adekola headed home Marshall's superb cross with nine minutes remaining, but the damage had already been done.

A frantic last few minutes followed and only Bryan Hammatt will know how he failed to bring the scores level in the dying minutes, first heading well wide yards from goal and then firing amazingly wide after being left unmarked from Adekola's flick when it looked easier to score.

Hall tested the keeper with a late free-kick two minutes into injury time but unfortunately for the Rebels, the match was lost by their gamble to sit back and wait for the win.

Dagenham & R. Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024