Carshalton late cup show shocks Wexham Park

Slough Town

Slough Town

Carshalton Ath

Carshalton Ath

Haynes (89)
Ryman League Cup Attendance: 230 David Adekola
Slough Town crashed out of the Ryman League Cup on Tuesday night — conceding another late goal, despite dominating the second half. An 89th minute goal from Carshalton's Junior Hayes was enough to dump the Rebels from another cup and win what was a very poor tie.

Slough started brightly creating some good passing moves with strikers Bryan Hammatt and Andrew Deaner going close early on. But chances were few and far between in the first half and the best arrived two minutes before half-time. Hammatt linked with Deaner on the edge of the box and then fed David Adekola, whose return pass saw both Hammatt and Deaner fly in at the keeper with no reward.

Graham Kemp, who was handed a second chance by acting manager Steve Browne, was replaced by Al-James Hannigan at halftime. But the football didn't improve and the first real chance to score arrived on the hour when Hammatt tried an audacious 40-yard lob which sailed over the bar.

And when Hammatt found space for a shot inside the Carshalton box Adekola decided not to cut the ball back. Both Hammatt and winger Youness Nabil were guilty of not testing Carshalton keeper Adrian Blake on 69 minutes after some good work from Leon Townley. And a minute later Barry Swiftbaptiste forced a great save from New Zealanc trialist Michael Riach in the Rebels goal.

Carshalton should have scored after 74 minutes when Ryan Denys pounced on Haynes' shot from the edge of the box. Riach parried the initial shot and when the ball fell to Denys he got it stuck beneath his feet and could only bundle it wide to the amazement of his teammates.

Browne brought himself on after 71 minutes, replacing midfielder Mark Hawthorne, and almost scored four minutes later, forcing Blake to tip his lob over the bar. From the resulting corner Townley went close with a flick at the near post.

With just four minutes left Deaner missed two clear cut chances,, both from pin-point Micky Engwell deliveries. First he watched his acrobatic header fly well over the bar, and then on 87 minutes he arrived unmarked at the far post and crashed his header against the Carshalton bar.

With extra-time looming Carshalton surged forward and Hayes found space on the edge of the box for a cruel winner. His left foot shot flew off the back of Townley and looped over and wide of Riach, who was well beaten by the cruel deflection.

Boss Steve Browne was visibly dejected at the final whistle on Tuesday night but has since bounced back from the cruel defeat. He said: "I was very disappointed and it seems as if it isn't going for us at the moment. "But I think that the fans who were at the game on Tuesday night will have seen an improvement," he added. "We were camped in their half for the whole second half and they only had one real shot and scored from it. "The boys were down after wards and I didn't say a word to them," revealed Browne.

However, he was pleased with the performances of strikers Andrew Deaner and David Adekola, in particular and added: "I think we can safely say that things are on the up now. There were no moans or groans from supporters after I the game, and I know that we can turn it around, it will just take a bit of time."

Carshalton Ath Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024