Ducks dent Browne's bid for Rebels job with late strike

Slough Town

Slough Town

Deaner (49)
Aylesbury United

Aylesbury United

Heard (8), Stanbridge (83)
League Attendance: 556 Dave Timothy
Light the blue touch paper and sit back and watch the display. That's what caretaker manager Steve Browne was hoping after preparing the side for his first league game in charge of Slough Town on Saturday. But the team showed no sparkle and fizzled out to allow Aylesbury to grab their first away points of the season.

The Rebels continued to show nothing of the football form they displayed earlier in the season and most players were keen to just get rid of the ball quickly in hope rather than any real pattern and so little controlled build-up play.

It might have served them better to have played it nice and simple, but they seemed to have forgotten the basics, and their passing and dribbling was far too close to the opposition, which got them into trouble.

Slough were missing their creative midfielders Mark Hall and Paul Barrowcliff through injuries, but it was Aylesbury who showed how to move the ball around and get into the danger area. And this was an Aylesbury side who were also missing some key players, and which contained four new signings, including Len Brayshaw and ex-Slough striker Ansil Bushay both having their first outing for the Ducks on Saturday.

Although it was a poor performance, Slough should have got something from the game but several chances failed to find the net and they got no joy from two penalty calls - if just one had been given it could well have changed their fortune and their confidence. But the Rebels got off to one of their worst starts in recent memory. It was a lethargic performance from the off as Aylesbury took control of the game, with Slough being penned in their own half for the first five minutes and a goal down after nine.

Aylesbury had already mounted raids on the Slough goal and forced a saved from stand-in keeper Michael Riach. Then as they pushed up again, the ball came to midfielder Stephen Heard who produced a fierce drive which left Riach with no chance as it screamed high into his top right hand corner to give the Ducks the lead.

Aylesbury continued to control the midfield and it was the 14th minute before Slough had their first attempt on goal and that was from a Mickey Engwell cross-shoot which was easily dealt with by the keeper. Mark Pye, who had sustained a cut in the first minute to his eyebrow, had the wound knocked again and was replaced by David Rainford on 25 minutes.

The midfielder looked lively and had Slough's first real goal chance two minutes later when a cross from Engwel came out to Rainford but he dragged his shot wide of the target. Slough, though, continued to be second best to the ball and with no one holding the ball up, attacks were sporadic. Strikers Bryan Hammatt and Andrew Deaner were guilty too of failing to hold on the ball, but on the other hand they didn't have much of service from the wings or support from midfield.

From one attack, in the 41st minute, Rainford appeared to be tripped on the left side of the area, but to everyone's disgust, referee Woodward turned down the appeal. He admitted later that it could have been a penalty but all he could see was a tangle of legs and he could not be sure. One attempt at either end brought a dismal half for Slough to a close.

Some harsh talking during the break saw Slough begin the half as the PA system continued to play Genesis's In Too Deep. Perhaps it was an unintentional hint from the box to get the midfield to push up! In any event, Slough did become determined and took the offensive and on 49 minutes got back into the game with an equaliser from Andrew Deaner.

Engwell sent in one of his good deep crosses which Hammatt met to power down a header which was parried out and Deaner dived in to head home.

But Slough never maintained the momentum and on 54 minutes Hammatt went into the book for an illegal tackle and was replaced three minutes later by David Adekola, and ten minutes later Chris White, who had not looked totally at home in the midfield role he was given, gave way for Younis Nabil.

Adekola made a difference up front and was creating opportunities. The striker worked well on the left before putting in a cross which flashed across goal but unfortunately behind Leon Townley. On 70 minutes, Adekola then met a cross from Deaner on the left and was grounded by defender Kevin Davies. Appeals for a penalty were waved away by the referee, who indicated it was a clash after the ball had gone. Some good passing and movement again from Aylesbury led to a superb chance for Heard who had a clear shot at goal but his fierce drive went over the fingertips of Riach for a goal kick.

Adekola was involved in two chances, the first was a stunning drive from the right which rocked the bar and the second when he won the ball on the left and surrounded by three men crossed for Mark Hawthorne who drove it against the keeper.

But a winner was always on the cards and it was no surprise it fell to Aylesbury after 84 minutes. Another attack was only partially cleared by Al-James Hannigan and the ball went to Ollie Stanbridge who was given too much room on the left of the area and drove it low inside the post for the winner.

There's plenty of work for Steve Browne to do if he hopes to get the Rebels to work as a fluid unit again.

Aylesbury United Lineup

Gary Phillips, Allan Pluckrose, Iain Duncan, Steve Heard, Kevin Davies, Phil Mason, Danny Hutchings, Neil Selby, Ansil Bushay, Ollie Stanbridge, Lennie Brayshaw. Subs: Daniel Gordon, Adam Clarry, Danny Honeyball


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024