Rebels back with a bang

Slough Town

Slough Town

Hammatt (31, 87), Pye (2-0), Deaner (69)
Staines Town

Staines Town

Butler (44)
Full Members Cup Attendance: 278 Unknown
Four goals was the bright welcome the Rebels gave to caretaker manager Steve Browne for his first game in charge following the departure of Graham Roberts in a cup win over neighbours Staines Town on Tuesday night.

There was a difference in effort as Slough shook off their lethargic cloak that shrowded heir performance against Chesham on Saturday. The players worked well together perhaps wanting to show their worth to he new boss.

Starting with recognised strikers up front in Bryan Hammatt and David Adekola, with Mark Hall returning to his midfield role was the main noticeable change. With Danny Honey injured Slough introduced a trialist goalkeeper in New Zealander Michael Riach, who looked comfortable between the posts and certainly impressed vith his kicking.

The opening period saw Slough go close with some good attempts, and Adekola and Hammatt, who both looked sharper, put in some good shots. Hall came off after 27 minutes with a hamsting strain and was replaced by Browne.

Both sides continued to look for openings but it was Slough who struck the first blow on 31 minutes when a fierce drive from Mickey Engwell was spilled out by Staines keeper Martin Lovett and Hammatt raced in to snatch the ball before the keeper could recover and plant the ball into the net.

Hammatt was buzzing now, and he followed up with two good efforts, the first when he met a cross from the right by Dave Timothy at the near post but could only steer it wide, then after an interchange with Dave Rainford, he just failed with a chip over the keeper.

Shortly after he contributed to the second goal when he flicked the ball on for Mark Pye, who ran the ball cooly past the keeper for 2-0.

Just before the break, Slough let their concentration slip and some sloppy defending allowed Staines to pull one back as striker Mark Butler had plenty of room to make it 2-1.

Slough began the second half with some patient build-up play but little adventurous attacking and a far from dominant midfield allowed the visitors to apply some steady pressure. Adekola had a great chance to increase the score when he beat the offside and was away on the left, but despite Hammatt making himself available for the cross, Adekola delayed too long and the ball was taken off him.

Fifteen minutes into the half, Browne produced a well timed run from midfield and Timothy slipped a perfect pass for him to run on to but his shot on goal was pushed away for a corner. On 66 minutes Andrew Deaner came on for Adekola and the leading striker added to his tally within three minutes. A defensive error gave the ball to Daly near the byeline, he passed to Deaner who stabbed the ball home at the second attempt.

Staines never gave up and on 75 minutes found their way too easily through the Slough defence but the two strikers managed to make an offside move when they should have scored. Five minutes later. a Daly slip-up allowed a free shot on goal but Fitzhall shot wide.

Slough sealed the tie with a fourth goal on 87 minutes when a well weighted through ball found Hammatt, who struck home a low shot for his second.

Staines Town Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024