Winning Run Comes To An End

Boreham Wood

Boreham Wood

Samuels (28)
Slough Town

Slough Town

League Attendance: 401 Unknown
Slough Town's impressive winning run came to an abrupt end at Boreham Wood on Tuesday night. A superb strike by Tony Samuels, the first player to score against the Rebels in 518 minutes, was enough to secure victory for the home side.

The early signs pointed to Slough extending their winning run to six games, with striker Bryan Hammatt going close with a long range effort after just five minutes. Strike partner Andrew Deaner was inches away from beating Wood's keeper Paul Hart to a Micky Engwell corner three minutes later.

Slough should have taken the lead on 12 minutes when Mark Hall burst through the home defence, but he scuffed his shot. A neat move by Wood created the first chance for the home side, but former Blackburn Rovers player Simon Ireland wasted the chance.

Slough looked the stronger of the two sides until the 28th minute, when Samuels struck against the run of play. He latched onto a superb through ball and cleverly deceived Chris White on the edge of the box to stroke home a quality goal.

Slough were unlucky not to be given a penalty when Engwell was felled in the box just before half time, but there was no real appeal from the players and the referee waved play on.

Wood almost doubled their lead early in the second half but, following a goalmouth scramble, the impressive Paul Wilkerson blocked a shot from Dave Hatchett.

Engwell had a golden opportunity to bring the visitors level when he met a great cross by Hall at the far post, only to head over the bar. White made a superb tackle to deny Matthew Brady in the 63rd minute, while home appeals for a penalty were ignored.

Another goalmouth scramble, this time inside the home box, gave Hall a great chance to score, but his powerful drive went well over and instead smashed a window in one of the houses behind the goal.

Wilkerson survived a scare in the 80th minute when a poor back pass from White put him under pressure, blasting his clearance against Dean Samuels and away to safety. White then watched as his low drive was saved at the second attempt by Brady and then the final kick of the match, a free-kick by Lee Archer, confirmed that it was not going to be Slough's night. Archer's shot clipped the last man in the wall and crashed against the post as Wood survived — and Slough's impressive winning run came to an end.

Boreham Wood Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024