Long ball game not enough for Rebels

Maidenhead United

Maidenhead United

Brown (34), Creighton (42, 3-2, 77)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Connor o.g. (35), Line (2-2 pen)
Isthmian Lge Cup Attendance: 504 Unknown
In a game that failed to live up to the pre-match hype a depleted Rebels team sank without trace against Maidenhead on Tuesday night. On a bitterly cold evening, Slough failed to play the type of controlled football the fans were beginning to become accustomed to.

Far too many long hopeless balls were punted around the ground with nobody prepared to play the ball to feet. Only four players who started Saturday's match with St Albans were in the side against Maidenhead, previous games in the competition for other clubs preventing them playing in this cup fixture.

For fully 30 minutes neither side did anything to excite the watching 500 faithful and a couple of half-hearted attacks from both sides were easily fended off by both defences. Then in the 34th minute a corner from the right was headed on by Maidenhead central defender Bradley Platt to Steve Brown who gave keeper Paul Wilkerson no chance from close range. A lucky break for the home side, but well appreciated by the fans immediately behind the goal.

Within 30 seconds Rebels were back on level par. Straight from the kick off Simon Quail raced down the left and his first time cross was turned into his own net by defender Brian Connor, quick consolation but one hardly deserved.

Seven minutes later the home side regained the lead with a goal worthy of 'Match of the Day'. Crowd favourite Garry Attrell, playing his 250th game for Maidenhead, broke past two defenders to race clear on the left. His well timed cross was helped on by Gavin Mernagh to Mickey Creighton. who racing in from fully 20 yards and hit a first time volley into the top right hand corner of the Slough net.

The second half started as the first with Maidenhead looking to win and Town happy to boot the ball aimlessly around. A chance by the home side to keep control was given away by poor defending when Luke Evans blatantly handled a ball that would have been easier to head. The resulting penalty was blasted into the net by defender Simon Line.

With scores back on level terms those watching felt this was the time for Town to bounce back. But sloppy defending allowed Maidenhead's Gavin Mernagh to break clear, his first time effort was blasted onto the chest of Wilkerson, who failed to hold onto it and the ball fell at the feet of Crighton. After some nifty footwork to avoid tackles by Kemp and Seymour he tapped the ball into an empty net.

The home side went further ahead in the 77th minute when a corner kick from the left found the unmarked Crighton free once again on the far post.

On this showing the Slough manager will be looking for replacements for the side that travels to Harrow on Saturday. Graham Roberts said: "Harrow Boro heat us 3-0 before I took over and we will go there on a high and are looking to carry on our league form." Mark Hall serves the final match of his suspension on Saturday with his injury improving well.

Maidenhead United Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024