Late flag signals beginning of the end for Rebels

Slough Town

Slough Town

Hammatt (85)
Sutton United

Sutton United

Watson (17, 50)
League Attendance: 585 Unknown
Slough Town stumbled in their fight for survival in the Ryman League, Premier Division as they were beaten by high-flying Sutton United at Wexham Park.

It might have been a different story had Mark Hall's fifth minute strike stood. Graham Kemp's pass found striker Bryan Hammatt, returning after suspension, and he flicked the ball on to Mark Fiore. The unsettled midfielder held up play before finding Micky Engwell on the right wing, Engwell's cross set up Hammatt for a shot, which was blocked, and Hall was on hand to fire home the rebound.

The Rebels' celebrations soon turned to despair, however, as referee Mr Keegan disallowed the effort for offside — but the decision was so late that the 'goal' was still announced over the tannoy system.

Slough were soon under the cosh against a very well organised Sutton side, who seemed to be stung into action by Hall's effort. And Sutton's pressure paid off when Mark Watson left Lee Francis standing after 17 minutes, and cut inside to stroke the ball home for the first goal.

From that point on Sutton dominated, and looked capable of opening the floodgates. Nko Ekoku, brother of Wimbledon star Efan, could have had a hat-trick by the break if he had taken his chances. On two occasions Ekoku just had Paul Wilkerson to beat, but could only blast his shot straight at the Rebels' keeper.

Sutton centre-backs Gwynne Berry and David Harlow produced a display of almost perfect defending, reducing Slough to just one cross by Lee Archer which flashed across the visitors' box without any danger. Slough introduced striker Andrew Deaner at half-time, and his first touch of the ball almost created an equaliser for Slough. Deaner flicked the ball on for Hammatt, who raced forward in a three-on-two chance, but Hammatt found a closely-marked Mark Fiore instead of setting up Archer, who was free on the left.

Once again Sutton took control and, on 50 minutes, the Watson and Ekoku combination produced their second goal. Ekoku found Watson with the cross and he beat the advancing Wilkerson with ease to put his side firmly in control.

Only some desperate defending by Kemp, Line and Peirson kept the score down and, with five minutes remaining, Slough even managed to pull a goal back. Eddie Denton's header from Archer's cross crashed against the post, and Hammatt was on hand to finish it off.

Sutton United Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024