Rebels Make Amends As Gary Steals The Show

Slough Town

Slough Town

Sissons (39, 42), Thompson (49)
Welling United

Welling United

League Attendance: 794 Gary Donnellan
Tuesday will go down as the day of atonement for Slough who finally came good with a lively GM Vauxhall Conference win over Welling United at Wexham Park Stadium. For once the Rebels made the most of a lucky break to record only their second league victory since Dec. 22 and relieve the tension caused by a spate of recent barren results.

They ripped the heart out of the Kent club in a ten minute spell either side of half time, Jon Sissons grabbing two goals and Steve Thompson the other. Sissons had been guilty of some profligate passing at the start of the game and Thompson had missed a simple chance after the break, but both redeemed themselves in style.

The Kent side looked the more dangerous early in a game in which the two teams were committed to all-out attack, but some stout defence foiled five corners in which centre back Nigel Ransom threatened to nod Welling in front.

Phil Stacey also stifled an edge-of-the-box strike from Trevor Booker, Mark Mallinson cleared Ransom's knocked down header off the line from one corner and Trevor Bunting's superb groundwork on the goal-line took care of the rest.

An impressive performance in midfield by Gary Donnellan, his best showing since joining from Enfield, launched the Rebels forward. When full back Mark Mallinson was pushed forward again in the 39th minute, he miscued his shot across the face of goal and Sissons was on hand to tap in from eight yards.

Donnellan did the spadework which sent Tommy Langley clear a few moments later and when former Rebel Trevor Barron failed to hold onto the fierce drive, up popped Sissons again to sidefoot in his second.

Sissons' confidence was sky-high as he tried to volley home his hat-trick on the turn from another Mallinson cross. He continued to cause panic after the restart, prising an opening for Thompson to drill the ball off target with no-one to beat. It was not like Thompson, but when Donnellan provided the through ball in the 49th, he lured Barron off his line, rounding him with his pace, and tucked the ball away confidently.

The Rebels then produced some clever football, the most delicate move involving Donnellan, Thompson and finally Langley who tricked past the defence to set up new signing Jonathan Hunt who headed over. Hunt, a 20-year-old free transfer who came from Notts County via Barnet, had looked a little out of touch in the first half.

With a frame like a gazelle, he then showed that he could handle himself as the action became more earnest. The nervous Welling defence was reduced in shreds, but Langley, fast acquiring a reputation as the world's worst shot, attempted to bust the goal from its moorings but only boomed wildly from point blank range.

A booking for John Glover on Sissons signalled no let up from Welling, but they were restricted mainly to set-piece action, Gary Abbott twice blasting at the wall from a free kick and Booker hitting a dipper from another onto the bar.

But even when they were gifted a chance in the closing stages, Mark Hone managed I to miss an open goal. The Rebels are without a game tomorrow but travel to Twerton Park for a Conference clash with Bath City on Tuesday.

Welling United Lineup

Barron, Hone, Horton, Glover, Ransom,Clemmence, White, Francis, Abbott, Robbins, Booker. Subs: Brown, Hanford (neither used).


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024