Well Earned Point



Slough Town

Slough Town

League Unknown
After their humiliating defeat against Wokingham on Saturday, Slough Town bounced back to collect a well deserved point at Leatherhead on Tuesday evening and give Terry Reardon an encouraging start to his new managerial career with the Rebels.

And Reardon must have been particularly pleased with the way his side battled in atrocious conditions as they showed the kind of determination and commitment which was badly lacking on Saturday.
Following the Wokingham defeat, Reardon, in charge of the side for the first time following his appointment last week, made two changes. Graham Maskell replaced Dave Yerby at right back and Steve Hardwick came in for Joe Moloney in the centre of the defence.

And both players, who were making their full league debuts this season, quickly fitted in and helped lay the foundations for a solid and well organised defensive display from the Rebels.

Youngster Maskell had a particularly impressive game and constantly linked well with the midfield while Hardwick was dominant in most of the aerial battles and won numerous important tackles.

With the midfield also looking a lot more eager for the ball the forwards consequently received better service than of late and Slough looked altogether a more determined and better disciplined side.

It took two pitch inspections before the referee gave the go-ahead for the game to be played and even then it started 15 minutes late as water had to be cleared from one of the goalmouths.
With the ground very wet underfoot the ball skidded on the turf and both sides found it difficult to adjust to the conditions in the early stages. But once they settled down they helped to produce an entertaining match and both teams certainly had chances to collect the three points.

Leatherhead had slightly the better of the first half and they constantly probed the Slough defence from the right wing where full back Steve Dixson was a major threat as he linked well with his forwards.

But generally the Rebels' defence looked composed when under pressure although it took two good saves from Frank Parsons to foil the lively Peter Fitzgerald while at the other end Dave Russell and Eggie James both tested Peter Caswell with good efforts.

Slough's best chance of the match came within four minutes of the second half when a superb movement involving Barry Friend, Keith White and Les Barrett sent Russell clear of the Leatherhead defence on the right. But with only the advancing Caswell to beat, Russell saw his shot blocked by the Leatherhead keeper and the ball cleared to safety.

The Rebels' hopes suffered a blow after 70 minutes when following a clash of heads with Andy Bushnell, Eric Young, who had another fine game, was led off the pitch with a badly cut eye.
But substitute Moloney quickly fitted into the defence, although three minutes later Leatherhead had a fine chance to take the lead.

For once the Sough defence got caught square and the ball was switched from the right and found its way to the unmarked Terry Eames, but Parsons was equal to his effort from the edge of the penalty area and Slough supporters were able to breath a sigh of relief.

With 10 minutes remaining Hardwick was booked for a "professional foul" on Fitzgerald after he had burst through, while at the other end a corner from Russell almost crept in at the far post and a flashing volley from Barrett went just wide of the post.

If Slough had perhaps been a little sharper in front of goal they could well have returned with the three points, but it was encouraging to see the way they battled in this match and they can feel well pleased with a hard earned point.

Leatherhead Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024