Beachboys knock Rebels out of FA Trophy

Slough Town

Slough Town

W Harris (38, 54)
Concord Rangers

Concord Rangers

Krasniqi (9, 90+2), Green (pen 73)
FA Trophy Attendance: 295 Warren Harris
Two goals from Warren Harris were not enough to prevent Slough from crashing out of the Buildbase FA Trophy, with Kreshnic Krasniqi’s stoppage-time goal sending the Beachboys through to a First Round meeting with Maidstone United.

It was a tale of two second half penalties, with Matt Lench sending one over the crossbar for Slough with the Rebels leading 2-1, whilst Danny Green converted for Concord soon after to level the scores.

After failing to break down Concord on Saturday the Rebels made a few squad changes and moved to a 4-5-1 formation. Scott Davies and Matt Lench came in to replace Sean Fraser and Ben Harris.

After a slow start to the game, Concord took the lead on 8 minutes when Krasniqi rose highest from a free kick to head in above Mark Nisbet.

Slough took a little while to respond but were having joy with balls in behind the Concord defence as Dan Roberts beat his opposition with his pace. The Rebels’ first shot on target came in the 13th minute when Roberts was able to make space to shoot from outside the box but his low effort was pushed around the post by Chris Haigh.

The visitors nearly doubled their lead a few minutes later when Jack Turner mishit his clearance straight to Krasniqi, who brought the ball forward before Turner closed the space and smothered his shot. George Wells was on hand to block the follow up.

Again, Roberts’s pace allowed him to get on to a ball over the Concord defence but his half volleyed attempt went into the side netting, not troubling Haigh.

The game settled until a Slough free kick was whipped in by Max Worsfold with Nisbet being denied an opportunity to head the ball after an obvious push in the back which the referee waved away.

Slough got a deserved equaliser in the 37th minute. With Max Worsfold starting to have joy down his left wing, he saw his cross deflected up by Aaron Pollock. The ball floated to the back post where Warren Harris was on hand to head home from close range and level the scores at the break.

In the opening minutes of the second half the referee did well to play an advantage following a handball, with Roberts through on goal. The striker was forced into an early shot under pressure, and his effort was good enough to beat the keeper but not the post.

The Rebels then took the lead on 54 minutes with Lench’s free kick finding Warren Harris, who leapt brilliantly with his header hitting the inside of the post and bouncing across goal, crossing the line before any defender could get back and clear.

Slough were in full control of the second half and very nearly doubled their lead within a few minutes. Dan Roberts broke through down the left wing and drilled in a low cross which found Warren Harris at the back post, but he somehow scuffed his shot when it seemed easier to score.

Just before the hour mark Slough very nearly gifted Concord an equaliser. Ryan Bird did well to intercept a through ball but then his back pass to Turner was weak and gave Joel Nouble a chance but Turner spread himself well to save.

Slough believed they should have been awarded a clear penalty on 66 minutes. Lench’s free kick was poor but Nisbet was able to win the ball back in the box and found a way to push it towards goal. The ball ricocheted over the defenders and as Nisbet looked to get to it first he was clotheslined in WWE-style action by Billy Roast. To the bewilderment of the Rebels, both the referee and linesman failed to spot it.

However, a few minutes later the Rebels did get their penalty when the referee spotted a shove on Warren Harris as he looked to head the ball. Lench stepped up, but smashed the ball over the bar without troubling the goal.

On 71 minutes the hosts were once again frustrated by the referee and his assistants as George Wells was shown a yellow card following an excellent tackle, clearing the ball for a corner as Reynolds had looked to create a one-on-one. The free kick was headed out for a corner. From the corner both sets of players were appealing for a hand ball with the referee deciding in Concord’s favour.

Green stepped up to take the penalty, despatching the ball confidently and sending Turner the wrong way to level the scores.
Going into the last ten minutes Slough were the ones pushing forward in search of the winner. A free kick from Worsfold beat everyone and found Wells at the back post but his volley went into the side netting.

A few minutes another Worsfold cross went to the back post finding Warren Harris in a carbon copy opportunity to his first goal, but on this occasion his header went straight into the air and onto the roof of the net.

With time running out, Concord’s Nouble broke through the Slough defence and forced Turner into a save from a narrow angle with Wells on hand again to block the second attempt.

Three minutes remained when Slough thought they should have had another penalty when Krasniqi appeared to catch the ball from a dangerous cross, but once again it was waved away to the frustration of the home crowd.

In stoppage time, Concord found some joy down their left wing with a low cross needing to be stopped by Wells before the defender jumped back up and blocked a shot from Decarrey Sheriff.

Then in the final of the four minutes of injury time, Sheriff turned back into the box before finding a low cross to Krasniqi, who scored from close range. The referee blew for time shortly after the restart, confirming Slough’s exit from the competition.

Image: Philip Benton
Report: Will Tuck

Concord Rangers Lineup

Chris Haigh, Aaron Pollock, David Olufemi (c), James Blanchfield, Billy Roast, Jack Cowley, Lamar Reynolds (Danny Green 69), Kreshnic Krasniqi, Kit Elliot (Decarrey Sheriff 62), Scott High, Joel Nouble (Marcel Barrington 90+4). Unused substitutes: Archie McFadden, Alex Hernandez, Lee Minshull, Daniel Howett.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024