Clinical Rebels defeat Weymouth at Arbour Park

Slough Town

Slough Town

Wells (24), Dobson (40), Jackman (86)


League Attendance: 923 George Wells
A clinical Slough Town brushed aside the challenge of Weymouth in the drizzling rain at Arbour Park and leapfrogged the Dorset side into second spot.

The home side showed no sign of rust in their first league match in just under a month due to cup commitments, and the win was a vital one to keep in touch at the top with a number of games still in hand.

Weymouth started well though, playing the ball around well early on, and it took the home side a while to settle. The visitors had their best spell early on with Jake McCarthy having a goalbound shot blocked by Lee Togwell before Charlie Davis also sent a shot wide.

But Slough took the lead on 24 minutes as George Wells’ low 25-yard strike fizzed through a crowded penalty area and in off the far post past goalkeeper Mark Travers, who looked a little unsighted.

Four minutes later Abdulai Baggie went agonisingly close for Weymouth as his curling shot beat Jack Turner but came back off the bar.

After Chris Flood had headed a corner over the bar, James Dobson added a second for Slough five minutes before the break, rising majestically to send a header from Warren Harris’ cross past Travers and in off the upright.

The second half belonged to the hosts, with Lee Togwell having several efforts blocked and both Matthew Lench – at the heart of much of Slough’s creative attacking play – and Dobson also going close.

Togwell saw a strike held by Travers on 49 minutes and then the midfielder turned provided as he released Dobson, but the winger tried to take on one Weymouth player too many and the chance was gone.

The hard-working Lench created more opportunities for Harris and Togwell, both of whom had efforts blocked, and almost found the top corner with an overhit cross, but Travers got across well to turn the ball over.

Weymouth offered little except a cross-shot from Davis which flew across goal as Slough stood firm at the back.

The Rebels were cruising to the three points when substitute Josh Jackman rounded off the scoring with a third on 86 minutes after another neat team move.

Jackman almost added another in the final minute, but Travers pushed his thunderous drive over the bar and also got down well to keep out another fierce strike from Wells in stoppage time.

Weymouth Lineup

Mark Travers, Charlie Seaman, Mark Cooper, Josh Wakefield, Callum Buckley, Toby Down (James Hayter), Charlie Davis (c) (Harry Baker), Jake McCarthy, Ben Thomson, Josh Carmichael. Unused substitutes: Tiago Sa, Gareth Stewart, Pat Suraci.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024