Hoenes treble halts Slough's progress

Biggleswade Town

Biggleswade Town

Hoenes (13, 80, 87)
Slough Town

Slough Town

League Attendance: 190 James Dobson
A hat-trick from Biggleswade’s Rhys Hoenes inflicted a tenth league defeat of the season on Slough, and further damaged the Rebels’ faint hopes of winning the league title - though the Rebels still sit in fourth spot ahead of the trip to third-placed Hitchin Town on Saturday.

Much like the recent defeat at Cinderford, nothing went right for the Rebels in front of goal, with James Dobson twice hitting the bar in the second half before two late goals settled the game.

Paul Strudley made his Slough debut in place of the stricken Mark Scott, and was put to work as early as the third minute as he saved from Michael Ritchins.

Slough responded by increasing the pressure and Manny Williams saw an effort blocked before a handball appeal was turned down. Biggleswade responded with an appeal of their own when Hoenes sprinted down the left and into the box before hitting the turf, but again it was waved away.

Just a minute later though, the hosts took the lead. Strudley had made a good double save, but as the ball came back in, he was wrong-footed and powerless to stop the ball hitting the back of the net after Hoenes's strike took a big deflection off a Slough defender.

Chris Flood found himself with time and space in the box from a James Dobson cross, but couldn’t get his shot on target.

As the half went on, Slough continued to probe and Dobson put a shot wide from distance. Shortly after, Ritchins was forced to head Dobson’s corner kick off the line.

Dobson found himself with a free kick in a dangerous position on the stroke of half time, but keeper Ian Brown got behind the ball and gathered safely.

Slough had struggled to click into gear, and almost fell two goals behind a minute into the second half, but Hoenes put the ball well over the bar from close range from a dangerous cross.

Hoenes was in the thick of the action again on 55 minutes as he tried to lob Strudley, but the Slough stopper retreated and caught the ball.

Slough introduced recent signing Callum Bunting as an additional attacking threat, and on 65 minutes he was unmarked as Dobson’s cross was swung in, but Bunting could not divert it goalwards. Dobson then hit the bar, and repeated the feat a minute later after Brown had kept out a close-range header from Bunting.

A quarter of an hour remained when Warren Harris put a shot across goal and wide, and a minute later Bunting turned past his man and got in a low shot which Brown kept out.

Slough’s pressure was to no avail though, and Biggleswade took advantage of a slip from Mark Nisbet to make sure of the win on 80 minutes.

The unfortunate Rebels defender lost his footing on the muddy playing surface, and with Slough committing men forward, Hoenes was able to run clear on goal and finish past Strudley into the opposite corner.

And with just three minutes left, Hoenes completed his hat-trick with Slough again making a mistake at the back. Paul Stonehouse lost possession after receiving the ball from Strudley, and Hoenes tucked the ball into the bottom corner past the out-of-position keeper.

Biggleswade Town Lineup

Ian Brown, Jeff Woodward, Lucas Perry, Robbie Parker, Russell Short, Gavin Hoyte, Craig Daniel (c), Michael Ritchins, Connor Vincent, Connor Hall, Rhys Hoenes. Substitutes: Adam Hunt, Patrick Jordan, Sam Gibson, Luca Stratham.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024