Sippetts hits hat-trick in League Cup victory

Leighton Town

Leighton Town

Bewley (44)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Sippetts (38, 78, 85)
Red Insure Cup Attendance: 67 Garry Sippetts
Slough Town gained a measure of revenge for Saturday's home league defeat with victory at Leighton.

Garry Sippetts' hat-trick helped the Rebels on their way through to the next round, but substitute Danny Burnell was sent off in the second half.

Slough created a great deal of chances in a bright opening period, Sippetts blazing over from 12 yards after a good run from Byrne to put Thomas in down the right wing.

Then, good play from Thomas played in Simon Martin, who although drawn wide, pulled the ball back across goal for Sippetts who could only fire wide on volley.

Leighton’s first real sniff at goal came as a great run down the left saw the ball cut back, only to bobble over a striker’s foot and away to safety.

Shaun Byrne chipped an effort just wide, before Perks gathered a header from Hatch as a free kick was floated in.

Slough continued creating chances as Coyne’s cross shot was narrowly missed by a lunging Martin at the back post, after Yeboah headed a free kick narrowly wide.

On 38 minutes, Slough deservedly took the lead as Byrne’s corner was flicked on at the near post by Sippetts, the ball finding its way into the net via a deflection.

However, that lead lasted just six minutes as Leighton found an equaliser just before half time. After a strike from Farrell was palmed over by Perks, defender Jake Bewley was on hand to turn the ball into the goal at the near post from the resulting corner.

Early in the second half, Slough’s Sippetts and Leighton’s Deaton both headed chances wide before Leighton countered and Gallant ran clear on goal with Chris Seeby in pursuit, but the striker fired wide with an attempted chip.

Darvall fired a good chance too close to Perks when well placed, but whilst Leighton forced a series of corners, Slough were looking fairly comfortable and were rewarded with a second goal as the Rebels forced a mistake by pressing high as a team to force a corner. After Yeboah crashed a header off the bar, Sippetts reacted quickest to nod the ball in.

However, Slough were dealt a blow soon after as substitute Danny Burnell was sent off for foul and abusive language not long after emerging from the bench. Despite this, Slough kept creating chances and, after Sam Bateman had a low drive saved, Garry Sippetts completed his hat-trick with a neat finish. After being played in, he cut back across two defenders before firing low under the keeper.

Danny Murphy almost added a fourth late on, but his shot was deflected wide – but Slough had done enough to earn their progress through to the Second Round.

Leighton Town Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024